Chapter 3

Xavier's point of view

    I watch her leave with Hunter. She would rather be with Hunter.... I think sadly. I have been her best friend forever, I have protected her from bullies, and guys that just try to get in her pants. God, even Hunter wanted to get in her pants at first, until I threatened him. It isn't fair, I have been with her her whole life and she chooses him! Everyone expects me to just understand because they are soulmates, but how am I supposed to understand when I will never have a soulmate.

That night I dream about Mary Ellen, her long chestnut hair, her petite figure, the little freckles across her small nose, her long eyelashes, her beautiful, kind brown eyes. I dream about the way she bites her lip when she is nervous. I think about how she is kind to everyone, no matter how they treat others. I dream about if I had been her soulmate. If it was me who won the lottery instead of Hunter. It should be me, not him. He doesn't deserve her.

The next day, I pick Mary Ellen up for school.

"How are you?" She asks me sweetly.

"Fine"

"Xavier, we have been friends our whole lives. I know when you are lying."

"Fine, I wish it were me. Are you happy now?"

"No, I'm not because I can't make myself your soulmate."

"Forget I said anything." She stays quiet the rest of the drive.

Please comment and/or vote.