Chapter 5

Hunter's Point Of View

He is right, I could never make her happy like he could. But I want her. I realized it last night. I want her. Throughout the day I think about what to do, about what would be best for her. I decided I am going to try to be there for her, to be the soulmate that she always wanted.

I go up to her after school.

"Mary Ellen? Can we talk?" She stays quiet.

"Mary Ellen please." I try again.

"What do you want Hunter?" She snaps.

"I want to be your soulmate. I want to be there for you and love and cherish you like I'm supposed to." She turns around to look at me.

"You do? You really truly do?" She whispers as a few tears leak from her eyes. I step closer to her and wipe the tears.

"I really truly do," I whisper back. She cries even more and flings herself into my arms. It was odd holding someone like this. Holding them... like my mother used to hold me. I smile.

"I promise you, Mary Ellen, I will do everything in my power to make you happy," I say to her. My shoulder starts to feel wet. "What's wrong Mary Ellen?"

"Nothing I'm just really happy." She says as she pulls away to wipe her tears.

"You are?" I ask. She nods her head. I smile a huge smile.

"What is Xavier going to say," she asks worriedly.

"Well, knowing him, he will probably threaten me. But back off if this is what you want." I say to her. "He would do anything to make you happy, even if it means losing you."

"He will never lose me, not as a friend anyway."

"Mary, he can't live with that. Almost having you, no one could live like that." She looks down but nods her head. "Hey, you wanna go home?"

"Yea sure."

As we drive to her house we talk about anything and everything, from the chem assignment that she aced and I flunked, to what her favorite book is. As I pull up in front of her house she asks me if I would like to stay for dinner.

"I don't think I can tonight," I say apologetically.

"It's ok, maybe next time?" She asks.

"Sure," I say. I watch as she heads inside. After she shuts the door, I take off towards my house.

As I walk inside I see beer bottles littering the floor. Great, he's drunk again. I swear if he tries to hurt her I will kill him. I head up the stairs, I throw my stuff onto my bed then go to the door next to mine. I knock three times. On the other side of the door, she knocks once, then opens the door. I swoop her up into my arms.

"Hey, munchkin!"

"Hey, Hunty!!!!" My five-year-old sister says.

"How was preschool?"

"It was fun! We made pictures!" She wiggles out of my arms to the ground then runs to her bed to get the pictures. "Here ya go, Hunty!" She hands me a drawing with two boys on either side of a little girl. I point to the little girl, "Is this Lolo?" I ask.

"NO! Hunty, that's me!!!!"

"OHHHHH I see! And who are these handsome fellas?" I ask pointing to the two boys on either side.

"That's you and Lolo!" She explains. I look at her and smile, she looks just like mom. Someone knocks on the door three times. I go and open it knowing it will be Logan.

"LOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!" She yells, jumping on him.

"MOMO!!!!!!!!!!" He yells back. Morgan is our little sister, she loves to be called Momo. Logan and I hang out with Momo for a few hours, until George comes home, he's drunk again. He lumbers up the stairs. I get up to lock the door. As I try to close it, George sticks his foot in the door. I slam his foot, knowing that he wants to hurt Morgan. I look to Logan behind me, he is getting her into her closet. I turn back to the door and open it, quickly I punch him in the jaw. He stumbles backward, "Fuck you! You stupid good for nothing piece of shit," he yells at me.

"Oh go look in a mirror George," I yell back at my drunken father.

"Stupid kid." He swings at me but I block it and grab his arms, pulling them behind his back. I drag him into his bathroom, throwing on the cold water. I then toss him into the shower. I stand there as he sobers up. He shivers as he tries to turn off the water. I walk back to Morgan's room.

"C'mon Momo, let's go have a sleepover with someone!" I say enthusiastically. I hand her a bag and pack her clothes.

"Where are we gonna go?" Logan asks.

"Well, I am gonna go to Mary's house. I think she would let us three stay there for the night."

"Are you going to tell her why?"

"I'll explain as much as I can," I say as I finish packing Morgan's clothes.

"I'll go pack us some clothes. You stay with Momo." Logan says to me as he leaves the room. I take Morgan's bag and sling it over my shoulder.

"Come here Momo," I say, "we are gonna go meet my girlfriend!" I entertain Morgan for a few minutes until Logan comes back with two bags.