Chapter 17

Mary Ellen's Point of View

It's the day of graduation and I'm getting ready. I put on a simple white dress with a sweetheart neckline and thin straps, it stops at mid thigh. Over it I put on my graduation gown, I grab my cap off my nightstand and go downstairs to see if my dad is ready. When I get down there I see him struggling with his tie.

"Sweetheart, can you help me?" He asks. I walk over and fix his tie for him.

"There you go, now we need to go, I don't want to be late."
"Alright, alright." He says as we walk out to the car.
"Are you nervous?" He asks.

"You look more nervous than I am, dad."

"Well, there is nothing to be nervous about. Nope. Nothing at all." He exaggerates. He is definitely hiding something.

"Ok, well if there was something to be worried about, what would it be?" I try to get it out of him.

"Well, I mean, lots of things, like... Wait. No! You are not getting it out of me! This isn't like Christmas or your birthday!" I slouch in my seat. We stay quiet the rest of the ride.

"We are here." I look out the window and see parents heading to the auditorium while the students mill around, waiting for their friends. Dad parks the car and we walk towards the school together. I hug him before he heads to the auditorium with the rest of the parents. I look around and see Logan and Abby hugging on each other while Hunter looks nervous and Xavier talks to him. I walk over to them.

"Hey guys, are you ready to graduate?" I ask.

"No! I'm not! I am gonna miss this place!" Abby wails, throwing herself onto Logan. Hunter stays quiet, he looks like he has been running his hands through his hair, something he does when he is nervous.

"You ok Hunter? It's not like they aren't gonna give you your diploma." I say, trying to reassure him.

"It's not that," he says quickly.

"Then what is it?"

"Nothing," he says. Before I can ask anymore questions the teachers start lining us up. We all line up ready to graduate. I hear the music start as the first people make their way inside. We all file in alphabetically, sitting in our seats. The ceremony goes by quickly, first the principal talks about our class, then the valedictorian shares memories with us. Next the class president talks about his favorite memories. Finally they start to call out the names. I walk up the stairs when my name is called. I shake the principal's hand and take my diploma. I wait as the rest of the names are called. I cheer loudly when it gets to Xavier, then Abby. When it gets to Hunter's turn they skip his name going straight to Logan. I cheer for Logan but look at Hunter. He just smiles at me. I continue to pay attention. Finally, they are on the last few names. Then I hear them say, "Hunter Shaffer." I look at Hunter as he goes up and gets his diploma, I cheer loudly for him. After he shakes hands with the principal, he hands his diploma back and takes the microphone.

"Hi everyone. I would like to invite Mary Ellen Greene to the stage," he says smiling at me. I smile nervously and start walking to the stage.

"What are you doing?" I whisper to him when I get to the stage. He doesn't reply and simply gets down onto one knee. I gasp and throw my hands over my mouth.

"Mary, baby girl, I love you. I love you more than I ever thought possible. I know that our clocks weren't wrong because you are perfect in every possible way. So, will you please make me the happiest man in the world and marry me?" He says. I start crying.