Chapter 9

Hunter's Point Of View

I wait for Mary Ellen at the lunch table, I have decided that I am going to ask her on a date. God, I hope she says yes. I don't know what made me decide to ask her out, but if I am going to try to make this work, I need to put some effort in. I see her walking in the cafeteria and I start to get nervous.

"Hey, I have a question," I say. God, I sound stupid and nervous.

"Ok, what is it?" She responds.

"Doyouwannagoonadate?" I rush out.

"I'm sorry, what? I couldn't understand you."

"Do you, maybe, wanna go on a date?" I sound like an idiot. What is wrong with me?

"I would love to." She says happily. I let out a sigh of relief as she sits next to me. A few minutes later Xavier walks in.

"Why are you two smiling so weirdly?" He asks. I look over to Mary and smile wider.

"Because she said yes," I say excitedly, "She is gonna let me take her out on a date!"

"She did?" He asks as he plops down in his seat, defeated. As we start to eat our lunch, Logan and Abigail walk over. Logan, Xavier, and I talk, while Abby and Mary talk.

"What is going on between Hunter and Xavier?" I hear Abby whisper to Mary.

"Xavier is jealous that Hunter is my soulmate," Mary whispers back, she glances over to us, she looks guilty. I think she blames herself for the tension. I wish she wouldn't blame herself, it's not like she forced Xavier to fall in-love with her. Or for me to be her soulmate. I wish this wasn't so complicated. I'm trying to change for her, but it's hard. I really need to take her on that date.

"Mary Beary," I say to her, getting the attention of the table.

"Yes?" She says sweetly. Abby giggles at the nickname.

"About the date-"

"I swear to god if you are canceling on her, I will castrate you." Xavier threatens, "She is already too good for you, don't make it worse."

"Xavier relaxes, I'm not canceling on her." I say, "Anyway, as I was saying, Mary, I just want you to know, wear something nice for our date."

"Can I know where we are going?" She excitedly asks.

"Nope!" I say, popping the p, "I want it to be a surprise."

"Mary Ellen hates surprises." Xavier cuts in.

"I do when it's a surprise birthday visit and you jump out at me, screaming in my face." She says back at him. Xavier looks sadly down at his food. I look at her and tells that she feels bad for snapping at him. She gets up and goes around to where he is and hugs him. Why doesn't she hug me like that, I think bitterly. I watch as he hugs her tightly.

"Ok, ok, that's enough hugging," I say. It's pissing me off how long they are hugging each other. They pout but let go of each other. As Mary is walking past me again, I pull her into my lap, holding her tightly.

"Ummm, Hunter, what are you doing?" She asks quietly.

"Shhhh, just... Just please." I say.

"Okay, okay Hunter." She says as I take in her scent. I never realized how much she calms me down. Just her scent, lavender, it's the smell of the lotion she uses. It makes her hands so soft. I notice most people in the cafeteria is staring at us.

"What you are all looking at?" I yell at everyone, immediately they stop staring.

"Why did you yell?" Mary says quietly.

"Because they need to mind their own business," I say into her hair.