Chapter 4

Mary Ellen's Point of View

I didn't realize that he loved me like that. I didn't think anyone loved me like that. But I have Hunter, or at least I hope I do.

When we arrive at school, I head straight for my locker to switch out my books.

"Why are you suddenly so quiet?" I hear Xavier say behind me.

"I don't know how to respond to what you said"

"Tell me you love me back?"

"I do. That's the problem"

"You do?" He asks quizzically. I can't believe I said that. I know him, he won't ever give up now. Ever.

"Yes, but nothing can ever become of it."

"Why not?! You and I both know he won't treat you the way you deserve. He won't love and cherish you. I will. You know I will. I will always be there. He won't want to have the 3 kids you want - two boys and a girl. He won't take care of you when you are sick. I will. He can't give up his ways for you. You and I both know it. I would do anything for you. I will protect you, care for you, love you, take care of our children-"

"STOP," I cut him off, "Just. Stop. I can't take this anymore." By the end of his speech, I was balling my eyes out. I run out of the building. I fall to the ground in tears. As I sit there I hear three sets of feet coming towards me.

"Mary Ellen, are you ok?" I hear Hunter say. A sob escapes my lips as I lie there. I hear the feet rushing towards me.

"Mary Ellen?" Dang it, Xavier's here too.

"Wh-what d-do you w-want?"

"To know what is wrong," Hunter says, "why are you crying?"

"It's because of me..." Xavier says guiltily. Hunter stands up slowly, he is angry.

"What did you do to her?" Hunter asks angrily. While they start arguing, Logan comes over to me to comfort me.

"I didn't do anything to her. I only told her the truth."

"What truth?"

"That you could never make her happy and care for her like I can!" Hunter goes silent, he looks like he is having a war inside himself.

"Are you not going to deny it?" Xavier asks smugly. Xavier is riling up Hunter, trying to get them to fight.

"Guys, I swear to god, if you make this about you I will personally stab both of you," Logan says from beside me. They turn to look at us, remorse showing on their faces when their eyes land on me. Logan helps me stand up and walks me inside. For the rest of the day, I ignore both of them, I even go as far as to sit somewhere else at lunch. I could see in their eyes that it really hurt them. What do they expect me to do? How am I supposed to choose between my best friend and my soulmate?

Please comment and/or vote.