Part 4

The night of Sultan's suhag raat

Drained after all the marriage functions RK was going to sleep when someone started knocking on the door. He prayed to God that it be not Dipali, she was unusually clingy today, which in truth was highly embarrassing and uncomfortable. He opens the door to find Madhu standing there.

"Madhu." RK says her name happily. She had been avoiding him the whole day, he had tried to talk to her but she kept going away.

"Can I come in?" Madhu asks him in a soft voice.

"Come on, when did you start asking permissions?" RK asks as he opened the door wide for her.

Madhu steps in and nervously start rubbing her hands.

"Madhu... I am sor..." RK starts and Madhu cuts him off.

"Don't say anything. I came to tell you something." Madhu tells him.

"Yes?"

"I am sorry." Madhu tells him.

"You don't have to say sorry. I was the one who broke..."

Madhu cuts him off again, "It's not your fault. I misunderstood you. And I had no right accusing you like that. I had forgotten how you had cared for me all these years and just took out my anger on you. I shouldn't have done that. It was very selfish of me. You care for me so much and I just threw it all on your face. I am sorry." Madhu tells him.

RK quickly hugs her. Madhu hugs him as she silently cried. And RK let her cry as he realized that she needed to cry.

Finally composing herself, Madhu tells him, "Congratulations.

"Sultan got married not me." RK says grinning.

"No... for your engagement." Madhu tells him.

"What engagement?" RK asks confused.

"Dipali told me."

"What?"

"That you guys are engaged and once your course is over you'll be talking to uncle and aunty." Madhu explains.

RK pushes Madhu away confused, "What nonsense? I don't even love her and she is talking about marriage?" RK asks confused. Oh God, What has his life come to? Why is suddenly everyone in love with him?

"She showed me the ring."

"What ring?"

"The one you gave her."

"That was a birthday gift and it was not even that expensive." RK says. "Why the hell would she think that it is an engagement ring?" RK wonders out loud.

"Maybe she might have read more into it than there is." Madhu softly whispers.

RK looks at her in shock and realizes she was telling from experience.

"When you care for someone, you don't hesitate in showing. People can misunderstand." Madhu tells him looking away.

"Madhu..."

"I think you should talk to her and tell her where you stand. Because she is so totally in love with you and the whole day she was talking about how you love her."

"What?" RK asks shocked.

"You do what is best. I just gave you my opinion." Saying that Madhu walks out.

RK starts to barge into Sultan's bedroom when he finds the door locked. He starts banging on the door, "HEY! When did you start locking the door?" RK asks shouting.

"WE ARE SLEEPING!" Sultan tells him.

"YOU ARE AWAKE!"

"GO AWAY, RISHU!" Sultan says angrily.

"I NEED TO TALK TO YOU! COME OUT!"

"NOT NOW!"

"WHAT THE HELL MAN? THIS IS IMPORTANT! OPEN UP! WHY HAVE YOU LOCKED THE DAMN DOOR?"

"THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT NIGHT OF MY LIFE! JUST GO AWAY, RISHU!"

"COME ON, SULTAN! I NEED YOUR HELP." RK then leaning towards the door and whispers, "It's about Madhu and Dipali."

"I KNOW WHAT IT IS ABOUT! I'LL TALK TO YOU IN THE MORNING!"

"YOU ARE BEING SO SELFISH! YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED I AM. JUST OPEN THE DAMN DOOR. LET ME COME IN!"

"I WILL KILL YOU. SO IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE, JUST GO AWAY!"

"I WON'T GO ANYWHERE TILL YOU OPEN THE DOOR. THIS IS DAMN IMPORTANT!" RK shouts then he hears Sultan cursing on top of his voice.

After impatiently waiting for five minutes with every ten seconds screaming at Sultan to hurry up, a furious Sultan opens the door.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

"What took you so long? I am so tensed." RK says sighing and starts to enter the room when Sultan blocks his way.

"Just say what you want to say and run from here." Sultan says angrily.

RK looks at him and asks, "You have lipstick on your lips and your shirt is inside out. And your hair is so bloody messed up. Why do you go to sleep like this?"

"You have ten seconds to start talking."

"Marriage has made you cranky." RK says.

"RISHU!"

"Madhu said that Dipali thinks that we are engaged."

"You and Me?" Sultan asks shocked.

"WHAT? NO! She and me!"

"Madhu and you?"

"DIPALI and ME!" Sultan sighs.

"Why would she think like that?"

"If I knew that would I have come to you?" RK asks furiously.

"And how would I know that? Shouldn't you be knocking on her f***ing door?" Sultan asks as calmly as he can.

"But I don't understand. Why would she say that to Madhu? Especially when she knows how upset Madhu is."

"Again, knock on her door."

"You are not being helpful!" RK accuses him.

"What do you expect me to do?" Sultan asks him furiously.

"Help me sort it out. For starters tell me, why would Dipali tell Madhu that? She knows Madhu is hurt and she kept telling her the whole day about how much I love her." RK says.

"Her who? Madhu?"

"DIPALI! PAY ATTENTION YOU IDIOT! And she was unusually so clingy today."

"Maybe she was jealous. Maybe she wanted to make it clear to Madhu that you are hers. And probably that is why she is crashing at our place. GOOD NIGHT!" Sultan says and starts to close the door when RK asks shocked "Wait a minute! Isn't it your suhaag raat?"

"Thanks for remembering that."

"Why the hell did you open the door? Who opens the door during their suhaag raat? Don't you have any respect for your wife?" RK asks thoroughly disgusted.

Next day, RK looks around for Dipali to have a talk with her. Not finding her in her room RK on an impulse decides to look for her in Madhu's room and sure enough finds her there. He had opened the door and barged in without even knocking as was his habit when entering Madhu's room. His blood started boiling seeing how miserable Madhu looked as Dipali excitedly talked about how he had proposed to her in college.

Please vote and comment

- Lazy