epilogue.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

51 years later

[ third person ]

"AND THAT'S HOW I MET MY FIRST LOVE." Nina concluded.

Kamille's jaw dropped, while Danielle clapped and Jonathan stuck his tongue out in disgust when he heard the word, "love".

Down the cobbled street lived Nina. Though she is now 67 years of age, she still had the heart of a young child.

The gang wasn't the same without Johnny and Dallas, and they all began to separate into their own ways.

Two-bit became a boxing coach, while Steve flew across the world to Japan when he got a job opportunity. Soda stayed in Tulsa with a loving wife, and Darry got promoted as the head of a construction company. Finally, Ponyboy published a book that soon touched many people's hearts, called "The Outsiders".

Even though their bond was no longer there, they still kept on touch, until eventually, they all drifted apart. Yes, it was sad, but that was life, and as the saying goes, nothing gold can stay.

She and Roland's relationship took the next step and started dating, which they got married a few years later. They have three kids, who all became successful in life, and had their own kids as well. Now her grandchildren visit her every weekend, which happened to be today.

Kamille, the oldest child among the three, was going through her grandmother's old photo albums. Looking through Polaroids and memoirs Nina made. One caught her brown eyes, however, and carefully pulled it out from the clear sheet that kept all of the photographs intact.

"Who's this?" Kamille asked, handing Nina the photograph of her with a dark tanned boy.

A grin spread across her face, "My first love."

From that, Kamille asked the story of her and the boy, and she saw the way her grandmother's eyes twinkled as she carried on.

She gathered the trio in her small living room, the flames in the fireplace giving a cozy feeling. She told the story of how she met Johnny, and all of the encounters with the Socs (changing it up a bit to keep it PG, of course.) She said how they fell in love, and when they ran away to the church and saved the children from the burning church. Even though it still hurt to talk about, she said how Johnny saved her from the fire but died from the injuries he had, and how her friend Dallas died later.

The whole time, the children were listening attentively, asking questions here and there. At times they laughed, got sad, and some parts made them think. Yes, they were young and naïve, but such a story filled their minds with wonder.

And now, Nina just finished the story. Danielle and Jonathan occupied themselves by either colouring or watching cartoons on the television. Kamille, however, was still intrigued by her grandmother's words, so she sat beside her on the velvet sofa.

"Grandma?"

"Yes, dear?"

"H-how'd you do all that? From dealing with all of the mess with the Socs, to grieving after losing two special people. How'd you keep your sanity? To be completely honest, I would've killed myself because I wouldn't be able to handle all of the pain it came along with it." Kamille rambled on.

Nina smiled, wrinkles appearing beside her eyes. "Well, after Johnny died, a special friend of mine told me a piece of advice that I will use for the rest of my life. Would you like to know what it was?"

Kamille nodded and was filled with anticipation.

"You hold on; you hold on for one more day."

( the end. )