2✨

Kentrell Gaulden⚡️

I grabbed the letter with the sloppy handwriting quickly and started reading out loud.

"To my right hand man,
Thank you for keeping my business in order. I really appreciate your hard work, son. Now that I'm gone, there's no need for money on my books.What did I leave you? Your freedom. I left you seven thousand, and there's more where that came from. Only on one condition: stay away from my daughter.—"

"Seven thousand? If he left you that, I wonder what he left Mariah..." Ben said.

"You think she'd leave me over some money?" I asked, secretly hurt.

"Ian sayin she a gold digga, but it's hard outchea in these streets." Kd said. Beenie was shaking his head.
"Keep reading." He said, not convinced.

"She isn't my blood, but I'm more of her father than her real daddy, so I know what's best for her. This is your second and final warning. Stay away or you're dead.
Sincerely,
Mad Max"

"Hol' the fuck up—"

"Wait a minute—"

"That was a fuckin' threat. I'll kill that bastard again!" Mama snatched the paper out of my hand.

"Wayment, so that mean he threatin' Mariah too. That's why she did the dash." I shook my head, sighing. I perked up, remembering the letter in Mariah's handwriting. I slid it off the table and opened it.

"My partner in crime,
I didn't wanna leave without saying bye, but I knew if I tried to leave in front of you, you would convince me to stay. I love you with all the breath in me, but I don't want him to get you hurt. I gotta niece to think about. He said he wouldn't kill me, but I don't believe him. Just remember I love you more than anything in this world, and this is not your fault. Maybe we'll be together again, whether it's another month, another season, or another lifetime. I love you, bitch ass nigga.
-Wife" I heard somebody sniffing and I looked back.

"Y'all niggas crying?" All them niggas started wiping they eyes.

"Nawl, dummy." Boomer said, his voice cracking. I pulled out my phone and tried to call him one more time.

"The number you are trying to reach has been disconnected. Please try again."
*

Mariah Clemons 💫

I sat up in the bed, unable to sleep. I clicked my phone to look at the time.

3:07 AM
Friday,  October 20, 2017

I grabbed the burner phone that sat on my nightstand. I had Kentrell's phone number programmed inside just because. I went to his contact and stayed there.

Happy birthday|

I stared at the bright screen for a while, looking at my actual phone. I got a whole new phone and number so they crazy asses couldn't track me. Brianna squirmed beside, making me rub her back. I sighed, putting the phone back on the dresser. I laid down snuggling deep into the covers. Brianna scooted over and snuggled against me.

"Auntie?" She asked softly.

"Yes?"

"You never told me when we goin back home..." I bit my lip.

"We're staying for a little while longer than I thought, baby. That's fine?" I lied.

"Okay..." She didn't sound convinced. This was the hardest thing for me to do. Baton was all she knew, so putting her in an unfamiliar place because of some decisions I've made in the past irked me. It feels like I'm being selfish. I loosened up a little when I heard her soft snores.
*