31✨

Kentrell|Youngboy ⚡️

"You was gon' WHAT?" My mama just about yelled.

"Keep yo voice down, Ma!" I whisper yelled, then calmed down. "I was gone ask her to marry me." She looked at me and sighed.

"Kentrell, ion know about that..." She shook her head, making my heart skip a beat.

"What, you know some?" I ask, stepping closer and trying to look her in her face. She shook her head.

"No! No...it ain't nun like that. I just said that cause y'all are 18 and barely that. Kentrell, you are a rapper. You go state to state, and you got pretty girls lookin' at you—and I know you lookin' back—" I cut her off quick.

"Mama, it ain't even like that. She the only one I got eyes fa." I sucked my teeth and waved her off.

"Boy, let me finish! Now, she a pretty girl—she got niggas lookin' at her too, I know you know that."

"I don't care about that, mama." I stressed, by she steadily pressed on.

"Not everybody can handle that pressure and that attention. What's the chances of her gettin' lonely while you in tour? What's the chances of you gettin' bored on the road?" I hung my head down, knowing if I argue it's gonna make this conversation longer and longer.

"You think her daddy would let you live safe if you married his daughter. Do he even know she pregnant? Fuck around and be looking like that boy that put her sister in a coma—six feet under." I sucked my teeth and straight faced her.

"Both of y'all young and dumb. You haven't been together long enough to marry, Kentrell."

"Mama, ion see the problem. You got mad at me when I told you I don't fuck wit' Nisha nomo, and you came at me sideways when I said me and Starr was through. You stressed at me that I need to learn how build wit' somebody, and now I am! I'm happy, mama! I gotta kid on the way with ha!"

"Now you finna throw them away like you did the other two."

"No, mama you can't do that. You can't say I threw them away—I can't stay in no unhappy ass relationship!"

"Listen, all I'm saying is—you're young and relationships come and go. You understand?" I flopped on the bed and nodded.

"Promise me you won't rush into that." Her voice got calmer and gentle.

"I promise." I struggled to say it, holding my head down.

"Now, I'm finna go downstairs and see what the monkey ass boys done tore up. You comin?"

"In a minute." I said softly, not even looking at her. The door clicked shut and I reached into my pocket. I had planned on proposing to her today since Gigi came in at the wrong time yesterday—guess this is cancelled for a while.

Gigi ended up waking up a week and a half before Christmas. That's why I made Mariah stay at my house. If I woulda checked my phone when it rang, I woulda known she was coming. Probably don't matter anyway, either mama woulda cussed me out or I woulda had to scuffle with her daddy.

But I do love that girl—with everything in my fucked up head and heart. Call me dumb, but I believe she love me right back. She make me feel different.

My mind was everywhere as I came down the steps and saw everybody. We decided to spend some Christmas time over here first, since Mariah had hella people to see. Everybody was getting done opening they gifts, so everybody was all smiles. Really, the only people who ain't open they gifts was me and Mariah. I sat beside her as she watched Brianna play with the buttons inside her play car.