17

HIM

I already had a feeling that something was about to go wrong. Or that something was already wrong. I ignored it at the time and thought nothing of it until it was too late.

I woke up that morning on the fourth day after our date, still with a huge smile on my face while remembering the way Maine looked four days before. I still remember the way she felt against me and the way her eyes fluttered close as I bent down to kiss her. I still remember her voice and the way she laughed, especially that slight asthmatic laugh of hers that make me chuckle just thinking about it. I still couldn't quite get the giddiness, that our date brought me, out of my system. And it wasn't like I wanted to get it out. If anything - I wanted to relive it again. And again. And again.

I remember doing my usual morning routine that day; I first checked through my bedroom window and while writing my usual good morning sign for her, I saw that instead of seeing her usual yellow curtains - I saw dark blinds. That made me frown a little but I simply shrugged it off, thinking that maybe I just didn't realize that their house got renovated in the past days. I then moved to tape my paper on my window, frowning deeper, however, when I saw some huge and dark storm clouds from afar.

"Hmmm... That's not good," I remember muttering under my breath and was about to call my best friend to check if our surf meeting that day was still a go, when my phone suddenly rang.

"Speak of the devil," I mumbled as Katring's name popped up on my screen before I picked it up. "Hello?"

"Woi. Tuloy pa ba tayo?"

"Tatawagan na dapat kita, eh. Ano sa tingin mo?"

"Ewan. Pwedeng oo. Pwedeng hindi. Kailan naman ba tayo pinigilan ng ulan para mag-surf?"

"May point ka diyan," I answered quietly as I continued to check on the clouds, trying to gauge if it was going to be a huge one or something that we could still ride on. The storm really didn't bother us. I mean, we already surfed before in this kind of condition, big waves, huge storm. It was actually more fun what with the huge waves coming at us. It was a bit riskier, too. But that was where the fun was, anyway. Then again, it would really depend on how strong the storm was going to be. If it was much too strong, then we'd have to call it off since the swells might be too big to ride.

"O, sige. Ganito na lang," I continued. "Tingnan na lang muna natin 'yung ulan. Tawagan tayo mamaya."

"Fine by me," Katring answered. "O, siya. Ninna's calling. Mamaya na lang ulit."

And before I could even get a word in, she hanged up on me. I remember just chuckling and shaking my head as I prepared to send a text to Maine. I knew that she usually wakes up at around that time and I wanted to be the first person she would see when she checks her phone.

Then even before I could fully send my text message, Katring was calling me again.

"Anak ng," I muttered irritably. "Hello? Katring, pambihira naman. Hindi ko pa nasesend 'yung—"

"We've been found out, RJ!" Katring cut me off and I remember stiffening all of a sudden - my mind suddenly going on overdrive. Found out? FOUND OUT?! Did she mean that our date was found out? Was that it?! Shit!

My first instinct was to put down the phone on her and call Maine but Katring pulled me back to that present by saying, "And Ninna's no longer Maine's nurse."

"What?!" I exclaimed. Fuck. But that was bad. "Shit. Kailan nalaman?"

"Kahapon lang daw. And Ninna was let go when Maine was already asleep. Ang bitchesa rin nung nanay ni Maine, ha. Pinag-alsabalutan si Ninna ng biglaan kasi pinahamak niya daw si Maine by bringing her friends in. I don't know how her mom found out but I'm guessing - hindi pa alam nung nanay na kayong dalawa ni Maine ang nagkita talaga. Kasi ang sabi 'friends mo' kay Ninna, eh."