EIGHTEEN.

IN THE BELIEF that giving a testimony would merely do harm to the case due to his personality and past — after all, just yesterday he had been arrested — Benjamin was going to sit this one out, as much as he would have loved to charm the jury and...

IN THE BELIEF that giving a testimony would merely do harm to the case due to his personality and past — after all, just yesterday he had been arrested — Benjamin was going to sit this one out, as much as he would have loved to charm the jury and make some convincing points. But, luckily, Lucifer was there to do that in his place, even though the idea didn't particularly reassure Chloe. However, everyone knew that whenever Lucifer set his mind on something, he went for it, and whilst it did leave Chloe a nervous mess, at least she had her brother-in-law by her side. That was Benjamin's mission and job for the next couple of days — being emotional support for the girl who had to look into the eyes of his own father's murderer, and although just sitting there and holding her hand sounded simple, he knew that it meant a lot to her.

It was lovely to see Penelope Decker again too, although they had only met twice in the past, but it was quite enough to make her love him and his outgoing personality. As they were reunited, the former actress had questioned if Benji had met Lucifer Morningstar yet, pointing out what a good team they would make — and all Benjamin could do in return, was smile mischievously.

"It'll be alright", the man comforted Chloe with a soft whisper as their fingers interlocked, and looking like a kicked puppy, the blonde directed him a grateful smile. Although they were two completely different people with entirely different stories, he couldn't help but relate. After all, he had no father either, but he could have been still alive. In fact, it kind of made Benjamin wonder if he could try more — if he was supposed to reach out and look for his father.

As his train of thought continued to move forward, his gaze wandered around the small room they were seated in, only for it to land a pair of shiny black heels stepping through the doorway, and as Benjamin looked up at the long legs and met the incoming attorney's piercing stare for a split second, he quickly realized who she was. As the woman continued to strut to her respective place in the courtroom, a thick file in hand and a briefcase in the other, Benji turned to Lucifer with shock.

"Isn't that—", he began, but the Devil was way ahead of him, already fuming at the wicked witch masked like a stunning, successful lawyer named Charlotte Richards — representing the murderer, naturally.

"My Mother."

—————

IT TURNED OUT that Boris, the most important witness to prove Perry Smith's guilt on the John Decker case, had turned up at the LAPD — or, at the very least, his severed head did. Benjamin nearly burst out laughing at the idea of Dan getting a mystery package, only to find that inside, but for the sake of the solemnity of the situation, he remained cool and calm. But he had to admit, it wasn't looking too good, especially with the Goddess of All Creation getting ready to make their case crash and burn with her fierce defending, and Benjamin was growing worried that John Decker would never get to rest in peace. He had never met him, but he was certain that he had been a good cop and an even better man.