Chapter 10

"Emma, just call him or something" Hollie suggested, looking over my shoulder too see the mouse of my laptop hovering over Niall's Skype contact.

He hadn't called or texted in over a week, I really didn't want to be that annoying clingy girlfriend that can't function without her boyfriend or had a break down when he doesn't text but I was worried, and to be honest I was starting to get kinda upset about it. Had I done something to prevent him from contacting me. He'd never not talked to me for this long.
I'd tried calling before, but he never picked up and now I not sure what to do.

"He might be busy" Hollie was round my house, helping with coursework but so far, we'd got very little done. My mind was elsewhere.
"Hey, look" Hollie pointed at my laptop screen "he's online, call him. And if you want I'll get some footage of it, not to post anywhere but to show him how happy you are when you see him. Niall sometimes just needs reminding of how much you care and love him."

She picked up the camera off my bedside table and began recording. I sighed and turned to my laptop, my finger over the call button. I was about to tap my finger on the mouse pad when he went offline. Oh

"Maybe he just didn't see you, try his phone. Now we know he's not doing anything, he'll pick up his phone." I nodded and Hollie passed me my phone while still holding my camera recording my every move.

I went straight to his contact and with a sudden urge of confidence that I had been lacking all week, I pressed call.

HOLLIE'S POV

This footage is going be so cute. I can imagine Niall's face when he watches it back seeing how happy he makes her. I really don't understand why she's so nervous to call the dude, it's her boyfriend for gods sake, it's not like he hates her or is ignoring her on purpose.

Emma put the phone to her to her ear, biting her nails as she did so. Something of Niall's that had rubbed off on her.
I watched as she listened intently to the phone and saw as her eyes began to well up.

Something was wrong, very wrong . Tears began to flow from her eyes and run down her cheeks like an overflowing lake.

I discarded the camera on the bed, not bothering to stop the recording and rushed over to her side. "Emma? What's wrong?"

She didn't answer. I plucked the phone from her shaking hand. She got up off the bed and held her back against the wall. Her knees buckled from underneath her and she fell to the floor in uncontrollable sobs. Again I rushed to her side and pulled her into a hug letting her cry into my chest. I didn't want to ask any questions in fear that it would make her cry even more. But I had to find out why.

With the phone still in my hand, I redialled Niall's number and held it to my ear.

There was a low beeping sound, the one it normally makes when the line is engaged but this time the monotone women said "the number you have dialled, has blocked your contact, if you wish..." It started talking about some random bullshit and I put the phone on the ground and contined to hold my friend in my arms.

How could he do this to her? This was no mistake, what was he thinking? I pulled my own phone from my back pocket and texted the girls with a code red, meaning ice cream and cheering up mode .

The sobbing came to a halt,  "What did I do wrong? I was supposed to be his best friend, his girlfriend! Why?" She whispered her voice so raspy and sore I could barely make out.

It was a few more minutes before reinforcements had arrived, with ice cream and hugs. So while Alex and Lauren were offering their comfort, I excused myself and went into the bathroom next door.

Niall was not getting away with this. He was my friend too, but he couldn't treat her like that and expect nothing to come from it. Emma loved Niall, I could see it from the way her eyes light up when ever he talks, smiles or does anything for that matter, and from what I could tell, he loved her back.

Still annoyed, I dialed Niall's number and waited for him to pick up. Surprised he hadn't blocked me too.

"Hello?" Niall's voice came through, he clearly hadn't checked his caller ID before picking up.

"What the fuck is your deal?" I shouted rather aggressively into the phone. Shit let's hope Emma can't hear though the wall.

His voice wavered as he spoke "oh, Hollie, what are you on about?" But he didn't fool me.

I lowered my voice to a sort of whisper shout so that Emma didn't hear. "You know exactly what I'm on about, what are you playing at?"

"You don't understand" he was beginning to get annoyed "I did it to keep her safe."

"Safe? Have you lost your mind? She's everything but safe right now, she's heartbroken"

"Ugh, you just don't get it, okay , now just leave me alone!" It was clear Niall felt very strongly that cutting his best friend/girlfriend was keeping her safe. It made no sense.

"Niall, don't have a diva tantrum now tha-" I began to rant before he cut me off

"Just, get out of my life okay! just" Id heard enough of his bullshit and hung up, what has got into him? He would never say that.

EMMA POV

I heard it all. She called Niall and even when she lowered to a whisper I could hear every word that they were saying, I heard what he said.

He wants me to get out his life. What did I do to make him say that?