Chapter 17

Sleep was so nice to my confused and jet lagged body, but I was rudely awaken from my slumber by the distinct sound of my door opening, it was a familiar noise that would usually have caused me to look up to see who it was. But in the determination to hold onto the memories of my dreams, I kept my eye sealed shut and ignored the noises that followed.

My mind started to be consumed by sleep once again, until my bed dipped.

"EMMAAAAAA" yelled a voice I could not ignore." Get up bitch, we got a shit to do" my eyes peaked open at the unmistakable cussing of Hollie who had began to jump on my bed.

"Ughhhh" I moaned turning over.

The second flight home had been as long and as enjoyable as the first but also cause the same amount of jet lag so I decided sleep would be better than getting ready for prom. Memories of the past few days came flooding back and consciousness consumed me. Sitting straight up and staring at the girls that had woke me up at 9am.

"Oh my god, today is the day" I asked, half questioning if it was actually the day of prom.

"Yep, we've only waited like 10 years of education to get to this point" Alex grinned shaking my bed.
After I'd finally crawled out of my bed and pulled on my dressing gown, I joined the girls, my sister and grandparents at the dining table and tucked into the steaming pile of pancakes which I, of course, covered in Nutella.

My grandparents hadn't really changed the house too much, well I guess they'd only been here a week and hadn't got round to it. The furniture was mostly theirs and it just felt like home as it always did.
My nana couldn't stop chatting about how she was so delighted to finally make jam with Maura, a task they'd been talking about for years every time my grandparents visited, and I knew Maura would be just as happy to get my Nana's flapjack recipe, so I guess the move was a win win all around.
The girls shared a worried look at me when it was mentioned Maura wanted to see us all in our dresses, but I smiled at the thought, it sounded odd but the last week was weird not seeing her pottering in the garden or hanging out her washing.

We all helped clean and wash up before I retreated to my room and showered making sure to lather on many sweet shower gels so that I came out smelling like a soap factory. I threw on a pair of comfy jeans and a plain white top, today was gunna be a long hard day of pampering and getting ready for the big evening that was to take place.

We all piled into the back of my grandad's car and he drove us into town so that we could all get our nails done, except my grandad, although I think a gold would suit him very well.
The girls and I made light chatter about how we wanted to look, it was the unspoken rule that, the hair, dress, nails, makeup and hair all had to match to create the perfect look and we all had it planned down to the last detail. The first detail of the day was the nails, I choose mine to be painted in a light pink colour to match the pink of the roses on the skirt of the dress.

We all looked at bit like idiots walking through the town centre with our flip flops when it was cloudy and ten degrees but the nails came first, even the looks we got of the people sat in the cafe as we ate lunch did not waver us to regret that decision.

However we did thank our lucky stars that it had yet to rain as at half three we were sat in the salon watching as the ladies there were performing miracles on our hair.
Rachel, a girl just a few years older than my sister, the daughter of one of my aunties friends, who had also babysat for me when Grace and I were kids, were chatting about how I wanted my hair and make up, yet again referring to how it had to match my dress.

"I don't want to go too far out you know, I didn't get a spray tan for a reason, el natural, kinda" I explained to her as she nodded at me in the mirror.
"I get you hun, do you still want me to do that twisted crown thing you always used to say you wanted? It'd go with your whole outfit." She suggested taking the pink towel off my head and running her hands through my freshly washed hair.