Chapter 21

My arms loop around my knees as I hold them closer to my chest, I pull on the sleeves of my Christmas jumper so the fabric hides my hands.
I hadn't seen snow for so long and I'd forgotten how much I love to watch it. My eyes follow a single snowflake as it drifts down from the sky, it hits the window of my living room, it melts and drips down to the window pane.

"Hurry up Grace" my grandad chuckled as Grace very slowly opened her present, being carful not to rip the paper. I really never understood why she did it so slowly, I alway try to tear the wrapping apart like some kind of monster and dramatically throw the paper over my shoulder, seriously it's super fun.

She pulled the present from the paper she'd carefully opened "aww, that's so cute" she grinned, letting out a laugh. Grace held up the red Thing 1 beanie with a blue Pom Pom on the top.

"Yey, matching beanies" I grab mine from the floor and shoved it on the mess that I call my hair. It's Christmas, I'm not going anywhere, why do my hair. I could feel Lucy tutting at me all the way from Australia.

My parents had given me a beautiful light brown Taylor guitar with a glossy finish, I'd had my eye on it for a while but I hadn't said anything so I have no idea how they knew.
Grace had gotten me a white unicorn hoodie, it was so soft inside and even had the horn on the hood. It was super cute.

I'd gotten my grandparents their usual presents, rose smelling bath stuff for my nana and sweets for my grandad, they're always so grateful for their presents even though I give them the same gifts every year.

Sitting at the table eating our Christmas dinner, the best part of the day, surrounded by steaming hot food and family; it felt like nothing had changed. My life had dramatically changed so much, I moved across the world, left school, made new friends, I'm even set to start collage soon. My year had been a whirlwind, my emotions changing constantly like the time zones I was in, my living situations had been turned upside down from what I thought it'd be like.

I'm a sucker for tradition, and I'd been so worried that because of the events of the year I wouldn't make it back to Ireland for Christmas and the annual games tournament. Every Christmas my family battle it out in just about every board game known to man.
My mom won monopoly as usual, but grandad turned it around with his snakes and ladder skills. Most of the day was taken up with many dramatic turns of games but the final being between Grace and I. The ultimate challenge, a just dance , dance off.

We clutched our wii remotes and followed the moves on the screen, giving it our best shot while belting the lyrics to Who let the dogs out. But once it was over, sweat on our heads, it was revealed. I had won, for the first time in three years.

Grace and I decided it would be best to enjoy the snow, so we changed into some warmer clothes and went outside.

NIALLS POV

I couldn't even remember the last time I was home with my family, it was before boot camp; before anything had really changed. Now I've been signed to Sony and about to go on tour with Big Time Rush, like what?
I even managed to gain four new best friends, but while doing that I managed to lose some other friends in the process.

As if on que, I could hear girly screams and laughs coming from outside; that particular laugh that I knew so well. I turned in the armchair next to the window, just one look wouldn't hurt would it?

Emma used her hands to protect her face as her sister, Grace, pelted a ball of snow at her. It missed by a mile causing Emma to let out a loud "ha" her amazing smile spreads across her face.

I wanted to look away, but my eyes were fixed on her. The way her eyes lit up, the dimples on her cheeks making an appearance. Shaking, her red hands wrapped around the hair that was in her face and swiftly tucked it behind her ear, her eyes looking up. She doesn't even have to try. Despite that her hands were probably freezing, she reaches down to collect some snow .

Emma always loved the snow, I can recall so many times she ran round to my house in a hurry to inform me it was snowing or when she would grab my hand and practically drag me home from school so we could go sledding. And every time it did, a large snowman would materialise in the front garden with a proud red scarf and a smiley face.

Those days were over, I thought, my mood deteriorating. Emma would definitely hate me, I was a massive asshole to her and she should hate me. One day she might understand I pushed her away for her own good. But right now it killed me to know that it may never be like it was with her again.