(Finale Part 1) Chapter 47: A Long Way Down

Will ran ahead of us, pulling a dagger out of his coat and engaging a high raking vampire in a deadly dance. Bianca stepped in every now and then, striking out only to retreat again. As they covered us, the rest of our group and I ran down the back corridor. So close to the exit.

I heard hurried steps just ahead and instinctively ducked just before another vampire jumped at my head. I skidded under him and he went over and landed on the other side.

Not even pausing to look back I ran ahead with the others, faster than I ever had before. We had to get out.

"There!" The werewolf whose name I didn't know ran ahead. A door to the left was slightly open. He quickly darted through it and I knew what was gonna happen. I knew because it had happened to me.

"No stop!' I yelled but it was too late. He ran inside, hoping for a way out and instead found himself surrounded instantly by vampires.

I quickly followed but something grabbed around my waist, pulling me back and throwing me to the floor. I caught a quick glance of fangs before he was smacked from over me. He smashed into a wall and Will stood over me, giving me time to get up.

"I'm fine." I glanced into the room and turned away, sickened by the sight. The werewolf wasn't going anywhere.

"Terren!" Bianca yelled out, tears pouring down her cheeks but Will grabbed her hand, yanking her away and down the corridor.

"He's gone! I'm sorry!"

I sprinted after them and the other werewolves, our number was down to five.

We were nearly at the back door when I froze.

"We need to go back for them."

Will glared at me. "You will not put the rest of the group in danger. Our job is to get you to safety. So that's what's going to happen."

"But what about Jason?" I shot at him. "How's he getting out?"

The second we hesitated was enough time for the vampires to catch up. As one came at me I flipped over it, shoving it in a doorway and slamming the door closed. There was a sickening noise and I didn't dare look.

Bianca and Will fought vigorously, cutting down vampires as they came.

"Bianca, duck!" She crouched and he threw a dagger, the vampire falling with the rest of them. "You need to concentrate." Will took her hand and stalked over to me.

"You have been in this world all of two seconds and you think you have the right to decide who lives and dies?"

"Well what was all that stuff about "we don't leave anyone behind."?" I turned on my heel and walked deeper into the mansion, away from the exit and heard a few mutters behind me.

"Get Bianca out." Will sounded resigned and I turned back to see him pull the girl into a hug and whisper in her ear. "I know you were meant to be together. Teren will live on in your heart."

Bianca sobbed slightly but managed to get out a few words.

"Let me go with you."

"No. You will only get us, and yourself hurt. You can't fight in this state." He looked over at one of the other werewolves. "Adam. You need to get her out of here. We'll find another way out."

The werewolf nodded and put his arm around Bianca, who still looked uncertain, and guided her out the door. When the others had followed, Will shut the door behind them.

"I hope you know what you're doing." He pushed past me and we both returned into the mansion.

"You're the one who knows the entire plan. I'm untrustworthy, remember?"