Chapter 29: Gone

The blood from my wound was slowly seeping through and I stumbled as the blood loss nearly overcame me. Keys in one and bow in the other, I made sure to grab the antidote that Jason had given to me ages ago and slip it into my pocket. The pain from the arrowhead still buried into my body was next to unbearable but my determination to succeed was stronger than ever. I limped down the corridor, no one paid any attention to one more person in their midst. They had more important things to worry about. Such as the fake attack that I staged.

I breathed heavily as I straightened to put the key in the heavy iron door to the dungeon. It opened. I quickly closed it behind me and desperately hoped that I would remember where his cell was.

Angeline

The newly crowned vampire queen paced around her room. Why had nothing happened? What were they waiting for? It wouldn't be the werewolves, they wouldn't shoot one of their own. Maybe the hunters? But what would their reason be?

"Why didn't you stop Riley from telling Hayden what she was?" Cole walked in, leaning on the four poster bed and crossing his arms.

Angeline sat on her bed. "Because Hayden had to find out sooner or later. I didn't exactly want it to be under those circumstances but it could not be helped." She stared out the window intensely and her brother followed her line of thinking. "There have been no reports of any hunters or any strangers out in the forest surrounding the mansion. We are still looking but it's strange. If there was anyone there then that's where they'd be."

Angeline stood and returned to her pacing. Something didn't seem right. And she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Her eyes laid on the shaft of the arrow she broke out of Hayden's side. She suddenly thought of something and sped over, picking it up and examining it. Black shaft. Hayden.

Angeline looked over to her brother. "Oh she's good."

Hayden

Finally! I slung my bow over my shoulder to free my hands and shoved the keys into the lock, turning them and opening the cell door to see Owen leaning on the wall.

"Ummmm blondie? I gather this isn't a social visit?" He frowned at the keys I held out and I saw his eyes flicker behind me to see if there were any guards.

"Yeah, not exactly." I admitted and his eyes widened.

"Oh you didn't." He grinned.

"Well, if you want me to leave you here...." I turned, grinning and made to walk back out the door and he grabbed my hand, pulling me back. I looked at him, smiling. "Well come on then. We don't have much time."

"Wait a moment." He fumbled with something on my wrist and I looked down to see him fasten a black leather band on my wrist. When I examined it further I saw that the leather was plaited and the bracelet was old and worn. "What's this?" I looked at him curiously.

"It was from my old life. I've kept it all these years and I want you to have it."

"Owen...." I was touched but we didn't have time for this. Who knew when my little lie would get caught out. "Owen I can't accept this."

"I want you to have it." He stood back and I sighed, pulling him into a hug before I remembered the arrowhead still buried in my side. To late. I hissed through my teeth and he stood back, alarmed. "Hayden! You're bleeding!"

"Let's just go." I went to walk but suddenly a wave of fatigue overtook me and Owen slung my arm over his shoulder.

"Hayden you're an idiot..."

I ignored him, focusing more on trying not to budge the thing in my side. Though I tried not to think about it I kept wondering if the arrowhead was going to puncture anything important.