Chapter 19: Try Not To Make A Scene... Part 2

Jason led me through the crowd of vampires to the center of the dance floor. For a moment I didn't quite understand what was going on but then he offered his hand again. "May I have this dance?" He had a very disinterested tone but I was curious of why he had taken me AWAY from Angeline. I mean, he helped me out before. Also, I didn't exactly feel like pissing off the second... Maybe MOST powerful vampire in the room. I looked at his offered hand and swallowed nervously.

"I don't know how to..."

His eyebrows raised and for some reason he seemed almost about to smile. "You don't know how to dance?"

I felt like I should give some explanation but I just shook my head.

He moved closer and for a moment I felt slightly lightheaded.

"Put your hands on my waist."

I blinked. "What?"

He tilted his head to the side and I finally got what he was trying to do. "Oh!"

Again his lips tightened as though he was trying to keep from laughing and I frowned. Jerk.

He held my hand and guided us around the room. I felt my toe connect with his shin and he looked faintly surprised. "How the heck did you manage that?"

I bristled. "Well I'm sorry if I haven't had the last thousand years to perfect the art of dancing and kissing people asses."

His eye sparkled with humor and I turned away, flushing angrily.

"You're... Nothing like I expected." He muttered and I turned back to him confused.

"What?"

He blinked and our dance continued for a few seconds. I was sure my hand was really sweaty.

"Why did you..." I meant to ask him why he helped me those few days ago but a light in his eyes warned me not to say anything.

"Just eager to help a fellow..... Friend, in need."

I looked at him disbelievingly. What bullshit. "I don't even know you!"

He turned away, rolling his eyes and giving me more time to think. He helped me, giving me the antidote. But he knows that we can't talk about it in front of so many people. In this place Angeline's ears were everywhere. I was still confused of WHY he was helping me.. Even just a little bit.

"What were you doing that day?" I rephrased carefully.

"How do you know that I wasn't just going to deliver something to Angeline?"

"Because her room was in the opposite direction to where you were going." I answered immediately and he smiled.

"Very observant. But, let me ask you, what are YOU planning on doing?"

I blinked. "You're trying to change the subject."

"Or-" He smiled again and I turned away. "I am merely trying to give some advice. Don't try to escape. Not on your own. You won't make it and even if you did where would you go? Angeline would kill your family in a heartbeat. Isn't it better just to stay here and let them be safe?"

I dropped his hand and stepped away. I could feel the anger rising in my cheeks and he stood there, unmoved. "Thank you for the dance, Your Highness." I meant that last bit to be a cutting remark and it certainly went home. His eyes flashed angrily and I turned away, making back towards where I had last seen Owen.

Naturally he had moved away, probably carried by the tide of creatures he despised but was forced to serve.

As soon as I was sure I was out of sight, I wiped my sweaty forehead and sighed. Why did I do that... Because he was right? Was I endangering everyone by leaving? He was probably okay.... For a vampire. Idiot. I can't afford to make enemies in this place.