10

Zack was the first to start talking to me normally again. It took a couple of days, but it was nice to have him back. He said that he forgave me, and that he was sorry for being mean to me.

"You're different, and I know that sometimes you can't help it."

Dad and Lindsay forgave me as well, but Lauren was still rude to me whenever we interacted. I did not know how to get back on her good side, so I didn't put much effort into it.

Christmas was worse. I decided that to avoid conflict, I wouldn't talk, but this made everyone mad as well.

"What could possibly be your problem now?"

The comment came from Mom on Christmas morning before we opened presents. I simply stared at her, knowing anything I wanted to say would only upset her more.

But apparently remaining silent upset her as well.

"Scott, please don't start," Dad muttered, sounding tired.

I looked at him, confused. I was not sure what I was starting, but it was angering everyone in the room.

I figured that distancing myself from them would help, so I simply rose, and headed back upstairs to my room.

I assumed that it worked, because no one yelled at me. No one said anything to me.

I sat on my bed before checking my phone. I couldn't help but frown. Every Christmas morning Mitch would text me "Merry Christmas" in all caps, followed by several emojis.

No text.

Maybe he wasn't awake yet.

I sat on my bed, staring at my phone for almost an hour. Still nothing. I didn't like the nervous feeling forming in my stomach. It made me want to cry.

After a few more minutes, I stood from my bed and changed out of my pajamas. I grabbed my phone before leaving my room and heading back downstairs.

The others had opened all of their presents, and only mine remained under the tree.

As much as I wanted to be upset with them for opening presents without me, I was more concerned about Mitch.

"Dad, will you drive me to Mitch's house?" I questioned.

"Are you kidding?" Mom griped. I looked at her for some kind of explanation, and she surely continued. "First you completely bail on us, and now you wanna go over to a friend's house?"

I looked back at Dad, "He hasn't texted me yet," I informed him.

Dad sighed in annoyance, "He's probably celebrating Christmas with his family," he pointed out.

"Unlike some people," Lauren muttered under her breath.

I shook my head, "No, you don't understand, he always texts me before they open presents."

"Scott, it's not happening. Now, you can either eat breakfast with us, or you can go back to your room," Dad declared.

I stared at him for a moment, before turning andheading back upstairs. I heard a sigh of annoyance, but I wasn't sure who itcame from.