37

I spent 11 days on the 6th floor. While I had been there, whenever someone was discharged, they were happy and excited.

I was not happy or excited when Mom picked me up.

The only thing that she said to me during the car ride home was that I would be permanently staying with her.

I wanted to ask her if she and Dad had talked to the social worker about my diagnosis, but I did not want to be a bother to her.

We stopped at Dad's house first so I could pack up my stuff. Dad was the only one at home while we were there. All he did was squeeze my shoulder and give me a sad look. But he did not say anything.

Once we arrived at Mom's house, she told me that she was going out with friends because she was not ready to be near me yet. It would have made me sad, but if she was not at the house she could not get upset with me for inviting Mitch over.

As soon as I opened the door to let Mitch in, he bounded forward, capturing me in a desperate hug.

He hadn't been allowed to visit me while I was on the 6th floor, since he was not 18 or older. It had been the longest amount of time I had gone without seeing him in a very long time, so I was not surprised when I started to tear up when I wrapped my arms around him.

"God I missed you so much," he murmured as he pulled away. His eyes glistened with tears, making me want to cry more.

"I missed you too," I assured him, before we headed up to my bedroom.

I had told him about the 6th floor more and more every day over the phone. But I told him anything I had forgotten about while we laid together in my bed.

"Mike was really worried about you. He was gonna come visit you, but he didn't wanna make you uncomfortable."

I frowned slightly. My boyfriend's father was willing to come visit me, but my own parents never showed up.

The fact made me want to cry again.

"He also said that if your parents didn't want you living with them anymore that you were more than welcome to stay with us. You would have to sleep on the couch, and we don't have much to offer, but it's something I suppose," he continued explaining nervously.

I tightened my hold on Mitch, slightly before kissing the top of his head.

"I appreciate your offer, but I wouldn't want to be a burden to someone else as well."