31

Michael Turner and his friend did not escape.

Lauren cried as Zack was wheeled onto a gurney.

When her anger was turned on me, I lost it again.

"You should've protected him better." Her words were screamed, and fueled by fear for her brother. "Why didn't you do something? You should've done something!"

I trembled slightly, "I tried," I whispered.

"You should've tried harder!"

Mom and Dad arrived at the hospital after we did.

They yelled at me, and I could not take it. This was not my fault. It was just easy for them to blame me.

"Your brother could die because of you," Dad spat, pointing an accusatory finger at me.

I stared at the floor, letting out sharp breaths, feeling absolutely horrified. I did not know Zack's state. I could still hardly straighten out my thoughts.

"It's his fault too," I let out in a whisper. I'm not sure if I had even spoke.

A brief silence past.

"What'd you just say?" Mom challenged.

I cautiously glanced up at the two pairs of glaring eyes. My eyes traveled over to Lauren who was looking at me warily as well.

"He knew nothing good would come from doing drugs. It's Zack's fault that he got shot," I seethed, angry that the blame was being thrown at me. It was always put on me. No matter what I did, everything was my fault; always.

I wasn't surprised when Dad's fingers wrapped around the collar of my shirt, yanking me forward. I was pulled from my chair, feet stumbling against the tile.

"You saying he deserved to get shot? Is that what you wanted, huh? You wanted your little brother to die?" he growled, shaking me violently.

I was taken aback by the brash movements, and I did not speak; only met Dad's glare.

He shoved me backwards, watching as I fell back into the chair, still startled.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Mom spat.

I couldn't breathe for a moment from the pain. Not physical. No. Almost never physical when it came to my family.

I watched as Dad ushered Mom away, heading in the direction of the cafeteria.

My head spun as I let out sharp breaths, replaying their words over and over.

I looked at Maddie, who for the first time, looked sympathetic.

"Scott..." she murmured.

Without a word, I brought myself to my feet andlet them guide me towards the hospital exit.  

 "Scott!" Lauren exclaimed, and I could hear her stand.

I ignored her and began to ran. Streetlamps lit the parking lot, but I journeyed into darkness as I ran farther from the building.

Headlights nearly blinded me as I stumbled into the road, gasping at the sound of honking horns and screeching brakes.

I stumbled slightly, but scrambled back into a running form.

It was hard to run with tears in my eyes, but I somehow managed.

I somehow managed to make it to the only place Ihad left. My only safe place.