15

My relationship with Mitch remained unlabeled, since I don't think either of us quite knew what we were doing.

Mitch would let me kiss him, and eventually make love to him, but we never spoke of it. He would still be friendly with the girls that flirted with him at school, and I would try my hardest not to get angry.

I had never been keen on sharing.

Our friendship remained platonic except for when it came to sex. I enjoyed sex, very much, but I couldn't help but feel defeated when Mitch would in turn just treat me like a platonic friend the next day.

I talked to Dr. Jacobson about it, and he told me that kind of relationship wasn't healthy for my abandonment issues.

"But it makes Mitch happy," I protested.

"But are you happy with it?" he countered, and I shook my head.

"I'm not, but that doesn't matter. All that matters is that Mitch is happy," I informed him.

And then he suggested that maybe I focus less on Mitch's happiness, and focus on my own. I told him that his suggestion was stupid and I was not going to do so.

My concerns were shifted away from Mitch when I came home from his house after school one day. Lauren had stayed after for volleyball practice, and Zack stayed after for track practice. Dad was at work, so I had the house to myself.

Or so I thought.

As soon as I entered the house, a very potent smell infiltrated my nostrils. I furrowed my eyebrows as I set my backpack on the couch and looked up the stairs, where the smell seemed to be permeating from.

I could hear laughing and quiet music.

One of the laughs was definitely Zack.

Anger instantly formed in my chest as I jogged up the stairs. I went down the hall before entering our shared bedroom.

My eyes landed on the culprit of the smell. Cannabis.

Aside from Zack, there were 6 others. 4 boys and 2 girls. Some of them were sitting on my bed, passing multiple joints around, igniting the smell more.

"Duuude, what's Freakazoid doing here?" the culprit with the lighter exclaimed.

Zack groaned, before clumsily rising from his bed, "He's my brother, unfortunately."