Chapter Two ; rX

TWO YEARS AGO

"Are you sure?" The fourteen-year-old brunette uncertainly asked the four mutants who stood around her. In the past few days, she had come to know them and get close to them. A few months ago, the slight idea of being around those people would seem insane. But now they all had something in common-They were all mutants, they were hunted. 

"You'll have to learn to control it someday. Might as well start now." The tall, muscular man with the long black hair said. His name was John and he was the leader of the Mutant Underground Headquarters. Behind him were standing two people; Lorna, a young woman with pale skin and green hair and Marcos, a man with a short-cut black hair. Right next to her was standing a red-head woman with green eyes. The brunette girl couldn't remember her name, maybe it was Sarah? Sophie? No, but it definitely started with an 'S'.

Lainey seemed hesitated. She shifted uncomfortably in the chair she was sitting on.

"You don't have to do it if you don't feel ready. We won't pressure you into anything," Marcos reassured, seeing the uncomfortable look on Lainey's face.

"No, I..." Lainey shook her head and got up, "We just better do it outside."

John nodded towards Marcos and a few minutes later, the five were outside of the Headquarters. Lainey looked around, trying to find a place that would fit. When she finally stopped, she saw that four pairs of curious eyes were staring intensively at her. Lorna spoke up, "Let's see what's you got, kiddo,"

Lainey closed her eyes, trying to focus. She slightly raised up her right hand but then she immediately dropped it, opening her eyes, "I just... I can't,"

"Most mutants first discover their abilities when they're in moments of stress or danger. They feel strong emotions like fear, anger or pain. Those are all unreliable, but if you want to learn about your abilities you can try just this time. Do you remember what triggered your abilities?" John asked and Lainey's gaze dropped to the floor.

"Yes," Lainey murmured. She could never forget, she would forever blame herself for what had happened. "What if I can't stop?"

"We'll be here with you all along, don't worry." The woman with the red hair stated, smiling at her reassuringly.

Lainey closed her eyes once again. All the memories she tried to force herself to push away, now came back and overflowed her. At first, all she could feel is pain and fear and it was hard not to break down and give in to those feelings. Then she felt it. She didn't know how to describe this feeling but she felt this connection. When Lainey's brown eyes opened, she was both surprised and slightly pleased to see what was happening around her.

Twigs and rooks that had been placed on the floor just a few moment ago, were floating around. Even a big, cracked sign that said 'Danger-do not enter!' and an old tire, that wasn't far away, were now floating mid-air. It almost seemed like everything around the five mutants was swimming through the air. Lorna stepped forward, her hand was reaching up for a big floating brick. She touched it with her fingertips and slightly pushed it forwards.

"It's light as a feather, like it's floating in space or something," Lorna observed as the brick drifted slowly towards Lainey. "Do you think you can make it move to where you want?"

"I don't know," Lainey truthfully answered, "I never tried,"

"We will figure that out," John grinned, "Now all we need to do is to channel it into something positive,"

"So, until then I'll just be Lainey Parker, the freak girl who can make things fly,"

"I was actually more thinking about Lainey Parker, the mutant who can do amazing things." Lorna replied, smirking at the brunette, "Now all we need to do is find you a street name."