viii

leigh hanson

we've been seeing each other after school  for almost a week now. and the stupid part is, i don't even feel bad about it. i mean, he could lose his job because of me.

everything we're doing is illegal, including the fact that i slipped him my number in class the other day.

can you meet me tonight?

can't. dinner with my parents' friends

then i'll see you tomorrow. make sure you study tonight for the test ;)

oh yes, because studying is always the first thing on my mind

i'm serious leigh

"leigh, honey?" i hear my mom's voice and see my parents and our guests looking at me expectantly. their daughter, who's my age, is just sitting on the couch by me, giving me a confused look.

i realize that i was smiling.

"you alright over there?" dad asks, chuckling. i take a deep breath to rid any thoughts of grayson before responding.

"yeah, perfect!" i exclaim, almost a little too excitedly. i leave him on 'read' and lock my phone to go and sit at the dinner table.

"we have some exciting news." my mom says halfway through dinner. she smiles at my dad who smiles back while cutting the steak on his plate.

"well, what is it, catherine?" mom's coworker asks, and i make eye contact with her daughter, shelly, for a moment.

does she know?

and if she does, how?

"mike and i are planning to adopt!" my mother exclaims, squealing.

wait, what the hell? where did this come from?

"wait, what?" i demand.

"i'm sorry we didn't tell you about-"

"may i be excused?" i ask rhetorically, throwing my napkin on the table as i stomp up to my room, grabbing my phone. when i throw myself onto the bed, i scream into my pillow as loud as i can.

but if they do adopt a kid, that kid could distract them from paying so much attention to me, and then i could go to see grayson whenever i wanted! it's perfect! i race down the stairs, and i'm able to see everyone at the table from there.

"actually, you know what, i'm excited to have a new sister or brother! adopt on family!" i happily shout. i run back up to my room like a little girl that got caught doing something she wasn't supposed to.

well, i haven't exactly been caught.

♡♡♡♡
this'll probably be a short story idk