xix

grayson dolan

when leigh leaves, i devote myself to grading papers from the previous day. i know that i keep stealing glances at my phone, hoping that her name will pop up and i'll be able to make this all go away.

i'm awake well passed one in the morning, laying in bed. alone. i go to my closet, pulling a cardboard box from the shelf. i riffle through the various pieces of paper and photographs, sitting myself on the floor. tears spring in my eyes, and i let them fall well into the early morning.

the next day at school, leigh hasn't said one word to me. her and riley are chatting up a storm even when i begin teaching.

"excuse me, ladies," i shoot them a disapproving look as i stand in front of my desk, crossing my arms. leigh gives me an equally angry stare.

"something you'd like to share with the class?"

"yes, actually," leigh stands, and riley only watches her, mouth open. the rest of the students watch as i lean against my desk, letting her take the lead.

"we were just wondering, what do you do when your heart gets broken? i mean, in glass, kristina gets her heart broken lots of times. but what about when you're fed lies, but you still want to be with the one who broke your heart and fed you those lies? what about when they keep a secret from you so big that it keeps you wide awake at night, doubting all of the moments you shared together? what do we do about something like that, mr. dolan?"

she hisses my name.

"are you done?" i question after clearing my throat. she glares as to tell me, you know exactly what i'm talking about. she isn't wrong.

"can i be excused to go to the bathroom?"

"you may." i watch her walk out. the students left in class look at me as if to ask, what the hell?

my question exactly.

♡♡♡♡
ooohhhh i'm excited. also psa, glass is a book and they had read it in class so she's referencing it....okay, yeah you get it