xxiv

leigh hanson

today is my eighteenth birthday.

needless to say, mr. dolan was actually serious. even though i knew his number my heart, i didn't try and text or call him, as much i wanted to. i got ungrounded by my mother just a few days ago, and i've been only focusing in school since then.

he truly did break my heart the day he basically deleted himself from my life, and i have no idea when or if i'll be able to forgive him for that. in class now, i sit in the back by myself because riley has chosen to disassociate herself with me, and he goes on as if nothing happened. how he can do that, i have no idea.

right now, i'm sitting in my last hour of the day, playing with the necklace between my fingers. memories of us together play over and over in my head, a lot of them are just us being together, others are me being more passionate with him than i ever had with anyone.

he was the one person that could make me laugh and never be able to stop, the one man that made me feel good enough to be loved, the one person that i trusted the most.

when the school day is over i stroll into his room to get my homework because i was absent the previous day and i decided not to get it during class because i was too ashamed to talk to him.

"um, mr. dolan? can i get yesterday's homework?" he looks up from the desk, looking like he was in deep thought.

"yes. it should be in the first hour box." he points to containers sitting on a counter against the wall. i grab my worksheet, and i steal a glance at him, not able to move. just as i'm about to walk out, he calls my name.

"leigh."

"yeah?" my heart behind to soar as i look back, our eyes locking. he doesn't say anything as i walk back toward him.

"i want you to know that this was my last day here. i'm not sure you heard me at the beginning of the day. i will be transferring to michigan, just to get a fresh start."

he continues talking but i don't listen. i put my hand on my heart, making sure it's still beating. when i open my mouth to speak, nothing comes out. when i finally am able to look him in the eye, he's stopped talking.

"okay. have an awesome time, and one more thing."

"what's that?" i look at the clock anxiously for no particular reason. nervously, i stare into his dark eyes before i bite my lip.

"i love you, grayson dolan." and with that, i rush from the room, running to my car before i become a complete mess in front of everyone.

♡♡♡♡
the book is coming to an end :(((