Chapter Thirteen: The white council

Fae, Gandalf and Elrond walked up a flight of stairs and into a pavilion. The moon was still high in the sky, it was the only light to be seen other than that of the fire that the dwarves had lit. Fae could hear their laughter from far away.

"With or without our help, these dwarves will march on the mountain. They are determined to reclaim their homeland. I do not believe Thorin Oakenshield feels that he's answerable to anyone. Nor for that matter am I." Gandalf said, as they reached the pavilion, turning Fae's attention to him.

"It is not me you must answer to." Elrond said pointing to the centre of the pavilion. There stood two tall, beautiful, female elves standing framed against the moonlight. They turned around to face the wizard and Fae.

"Lady Galadriel, Lady Serethiel" Gandalf said in awe bowing low

"Mithrandir. It has been a long time." Galadriel said walking forwards. She placed a hand on Gandalf's shoulder before embracing her daughter.

"Naneth. (Mother)" Fae said leaning into the hug. Galadriel stroked her cheek and kissed her lightly on the forehead.

"Melnen. (My love)" she said. "Time has been kind to you. To both of you" she said turning back to Gandalf. Fae just chuckled

"Nae nin gwistant infanneth, mal ú-eichia i Chíril Lórien (Age may have changed me, but not so the Lady of Lórien.)" he said. Galadriel smiled. Fae felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned and saw her cousin standing before her.

"Serethiel." She exclaimed, embracing her.

"Mára ana cen-tye en-mellonnen. Care-tye gar-I cor? (good to see you again, my friend. Do you have the ring?)" she asked, lowering her voice slightly. Fae just nodded. "Later." She said, earning a nod from her cousin.

"Mithrandir, may I present my cousin the Lady Serethiel, daughter of Finrod and Amarië, niece of the Lady Galadriel and one of the High Elves of Noldor." Fae said with a flare. Gandalf bowed and kissed her hand.

"My lady." He said

"Mithrandir." She said bowing to him.

"I had no idea Lord Elrond had sent for you." Gandalf continued

"He didn't. I did." A voice from out of the darkness said. Hearing this Fae, began to get chills down her back. They both turned to see Saruman the white and Gandalf bowed

"Saruman." He said as Fae nodded respectfully.

"You've been busy of late, my friends." The white wizard said walking forward and sitting at the head of the table.

The White Council, composed of Saruman, Elrond, Galadriel, Faerydae, Serethiel and Gandalf, were in the pavilion. Gandalf and Saruman were sat at the table; Elrond and Galadriel were standing the side, occasionally walking around. Fae and Serethiel were leaning on the pillar behind Gandalf as dawn was slowly breaking.

"Tell me, Gandalf, Fae, did you think these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed?" the white wizard asked

"Unnoticed? No, we're simply doing what we feel to be right." Gandalf argued.

"The dragon has long been on your mind." Galadriel chimed in, causing the whole council to look at her.

"This is true, my lady. Smaug owes allegiance to no one. But if he should side with the enemy, a dragon could be used to terrible effect." Gandalf confirmed.

"What enemy? Gandalf, the enemy is defeated. Sauron is vanquished. He can never regain his full strength." Saruman said, tired of the old man's blithering's.

"Gandalf, for four hundred years, we have lived in peace. A hard-won, watchful peace." Elrond agreed

"Are we? Are we at peace? Trolls have come down from the mountains. They are raiding villages, destroying farms. Orcs have attacked us on the road." Fae said, pushing herself from the pillar and moving to stand directly behind Gandalf.

"Hardly a prelude to war." Elrond said

"Always you must meddle, looking for trouble where none exists." Saruman said

"Let them speak." Galadriel said, coming to her daughter's aid.

"There is something at work beyond the evil of Smaug. Something far more powerful. We can remain blind, but it will not be ignoring us, that I can promise you. A sickness lies over the Greenwood. The woodsmen who live there now call it 'Mirkwood'. and they say..." Gandalf started

"Well, don't stop now. Tell us about the woodsmen say." The white wizard mocked.

"They speak of a Necromancer living in Dol Guldur, a sorcerer who can summon the dead." Fae finished

"That's absurd. No such power exists in the world. This...Necromancer is nothing more than a mortal man. A conjurer dabbling in black magic." Saruman dismissed.

"And so I thought too. But, Fae and Radagast have seen--" Gandalf tried once more

"Radagast? Do not speak to me about Radagast the Brown. He is a foolish fellow." Saruman bellowed, losing interest.

"Well, he's odd, I grant you. He lives a solitary life." Gandalf protested

"It's not that. It's his excessive consumption of mushrooms. They've addled his brain and yellowed his teeth. I warned him, it is unbefitting of the Istari to be wandering in the woods..." Saruman ranted. Saruman's voice faded away as Galadriel focuses on her daughter, and spoke to her in her mind.

"You carry something. It came to you from inside Dol Guldur." She stated

"Yes." Fae replied

"Show me." Fae lifted her package, which she rested by her leg, and placed it on the table. "...or I'd think I was talking to myself..." Saruman continued.

"What is that?" Elrond interrupted

"A relic of Mordor." Fae replied. Elrond, who was reaching out to unwrap the package, drew his hand back. He then reached for it again and opened it, revealing the sword Fae had took from the spirit in Dol Guldur. The White Council members looked upon it in shock. "A Morgul blade." Serethiel said moving to stand next to her cousin.

"Made for the Witch-king of Angmar, and buried with him. When Angmar fell, men of the North took his body and all that he possessed and sealed it within the High-Fells of Rhudaur. Deep within the rock they buried them, in a tomb so dark it would never come to light." Fae said.

"This is not possible. Powerful spells lie upon those tombs; they cannot be opened." Elrond said, stepping away.

"What proof do we have this weapon came from Angmar's grave?" Saruman questioned

"I have none." Fae said softly.

"Because there is none." He snapped, earning a glare from Galadriel, who had now moved bedside her daughter. "Let us examine what we know. A single Orc pack has dared to cross the Bruinen. A dagger from a bygone age has been found. And a human sorcerer, who calls himself the Necromancer, has taken up residence in a ruined fortress. It's not so very much, after all. The question of this dwarvish company, however, troubles me deeply. I'm not convinced, Gandalf; I do not feel I can condone such a quest. If they'd come to me, I might have spared them this disappointment. I do not pretend to understand your reasons for raising their hopes..." he continued. Saruman's voice once again faded away as Galadriel again focuses on Fae. She spoke to her telepathically.

"They are leaving."

"Yes." Fae replied

"You knew." Galadriel said with a small smile and a raised eyebrow. Fae nods innocently. A step is heard, and they all turn around; Lindir comes up and bows.

"My Lord Elrond; the dwarves, they've gone."