Chapter Fifteen: Out of the Frying Pan

Fae and Serethiel were running far ahead of their dwarven companions, eager to escape the clutches of the goblin tunnels. They ran forward into a clearing and watched in amusement as the dwarves stumbled in behind them.

"Gandalf!" Serethiel called. "I believe a head count would be wise." The wizard nodded. "Five, six, seven, eight...Bifur, Bofur...that's ten...Fili, Kili...that's twelve...and Bombur - that makes thirteen. Where's Bilbo? Where is our Hobbit? Where is our hobbit?!" the wizard shouted.

"Bilbo? Bilbo?!" Fae shouted looking panicked. She began to run back towards the tunnels but was stopped by Thorin.

"Curse the Halfling! Now he's lost?!" Dwalin shouted angrily

"I thought he was with Dori!" Gloin yelled

"Don't blame me!" Dori protested

"Well, where did you last see him?" Gandalf yelled, obviously just as stressed about Bilbo as Fae was.

"I think I saw him slip away, when they first collared us." Nori called. Fae turned to face him

"What happened exactly? Tell me!" she cried shaking his shoulders. Thorin ran forward and grabbed her, pulling her towards him and embracing her softly. He stroked her back as she cuddled into him.

"so na-lende. (he is gone.)" she whimpered. "what happened?" she asked looking up at Thorin.

"I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door! We will not be seeing our Hobbit again. He is long gone." He said bitterly, pulling Fae closer and kissing her head softly

"No, he isn't." a voice said as Bilbo stepped out from behind a tree. Fae ran to embrace him but stopped short in her tracks. Her head began to pound and images of Sauron flashed in her head.

"ha tur-ú-n. (it cannot be)" she muttered quietly. Serethiel looked at her questionably but Fae just shook her head and placed her hand on Thorin's shoulder for support.

"Bilbo Baggins! I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life!" Gandalf announced walking over to where Fae stood and linking his arm with hers.

"ni sinte. (I know)" he whispered quietly. Bilbo strode forward into the group; he patted Balin affectionately on the shoulder and turned to Fae.

"Do I not get a hug as well." He asked. Fae shook off her nausea and plastered a fake smile on her face.

"Of course, you do Bilbo Baggins." She said walking forwards and giving him a hug.

"Bilbo, we'd given you up!"

"How on earth did you get past the Goblins?!"

"How, indeed." The dwarves asked. There was an awkward silence as Bilbo tried to think of what to say. Fae could see the gears working behind his head and she looked at Gandalf with a worried expression on her face. In the end, he gave a nervous laugh and put his hands on his hips. Fae inhaled sharply as she saw Bilbo sliding the Ring into his waistcoat pocket.

"Well, what does it matter? He's back!" Gandalf shouted, desperately trying to conceal the rings existence from the dwarves.

"It matters! I want to know" Thorin started, but stopped when Fae walked over and glared at him.

"Thorin stop." She said. He frowned slightly at her but she just shook her head. He turned away from her once more and shrugged off her hand.

"why did you come back?" he asked the hobbit. Bilbo stayed silent staring at them all individually before speaking.