Chapter three: Uninvited guests

That evening, Bilbo was sitting down for, in his opinion a hard-earned meal, when there came a knock at the door. The hobbit set down his knife and fork and scuttled towards the door. When he opened it, there stood the Lady Faerydae.

"My, my Master Baggins, you look quite flustered indeed." She said smiling at the hobbit.

"Lady Faerydae, I was not expecting company, please do come in. Will you be requiring dinner?" Bilbo questioned, stunned by her appearance. The light of the stars seemed to make her shine. Fae just laughed. "No thank you Master Baggins. I ate a plentiful lunch at the inn down the road, and please Fae will do." She said. Bilbo nodded his head and lead the elf maiden down the corridor to his kitchen where they remained talking and laughing for long enough for Bilbo to decided he quite liked this elf and that he should wish to remain friends, when there was a knock at the door.

"My! Who could that be at this time of night." Said the hobbit. Fae just looked at him. The mischievous glint was back in her eye. The hobbit stood up and hurried to the door, leaving his un eaten meal on the table. When he opened the door, he saw something he never thought was possible in the shire. There stood a giant dwarf. He had huge arms covered in tattoos, an impressive beard and a bald head. He was quite large for a dwarf, and in his hands, he held a humongous axe. Seeing this Bilbo let out a small squeak of surprise. "Ah."

"Dwalin, at your service." The dwarf said, bowing his head low. The poor hobbit quickly tightened his robe before copying his actions. "Bilbo Baggins, at yours. Do we know each other?" he said. At this Dwalin stopped in his tracks and looked at the hobbit curiously

"No." he said with such distaste "Which way, laddie? Is it down here?" the dwarf said stomping through his home. Bilbo hastily shut the door and ran after Dwalin. "I­s what down where?"

"Supper. He said there'd be food, and lots of it." The stranger said handing his stuff to Bilbo, who almost collapsed under the weight of it. "H­e said? Who said?" the poor hobbit spluttered.

"Master Dwalin. It is good to see you again."

"Lady Fae. You look even more radiant than the last time we spoke." Dwalin said, sweeping her into a bear crushing hug. She laughed and ushered him into the kitchen. Bilbo hurriedly started to protest but was cut short by Fae. "A word of advice Master Baggins. Never get between a dwarf and his food." She said, before going to sit next to Dwalin. The two talked as he ate whilst a very disgruntled Bilbo sat in the corner watching his dinner be consumed by this troublesome dwarf. After he had finished, Dwalin turned to Bilbo and said; "Mmmm... Very good, this. Anymore?"

"What? Uh, oh, yes, yes. Help yourself." Bilbo stood up and brought over a plate of biscuits; he hurriedly hid one behind his back for himself. Dwalin begins stuffing them in his mouth. The bell rang again, and Bilbo looked up in alarm. At his facial expression, Fae could not help but to laugh. "Bilbo that'll be the door." She said. The hobbit nodded and once again scuttled down his hallway to the large green door. When he opened it, to his dismay, there stood another dwarf. Unlike the previous dwarf however, he was older, with a white beard and a rounder belly. Not only that but he had a full head of hair and was half the height of Dwalin. When the dwarf saw him, he bowed and said:

"Balin, at your service."

"Good evening." Bilbo said. Balin looked up at the sky and said:

"Yes, yes, it is, though I think it might rain later. Am I late?"

"Late for what?" Bilbo asks as Balin steps into the house and catches sight of Dwalin.

"Oh, ha ha! Evening, brother. Heh, heh." Balin said