Chapter 12

As Halloween approached, the number of people having the unwakeable nightmares skyrocketed. It got so bad that the teachers had an announcement about it on Halloween morning during breakfast. Professor North walked up to the podium, while everyone was eating.

"Excuse me, everybody, but may I have your attention?" he asked and all the students stopped what they were doing and looked at him.

"I know that many of you students have been having nightmares lately. Well, never fear. While I am not sure how to remedy that yet, I can assure you that Hogwarts is extremely safe and we are setting dream catchers around the school to catch the nightmares. Thank you for your time and I am very sorry that this is occurring. The staff and I are working as hard as we can to find a permanent cure as soon as possible," Professor North said and walked away from the podium. Everybody went back to their idle breakfast chatter.

"Hogwash!" Jack said and Punzie and Hiccup looked at him. Jack and Merida would only eat with each other at lunch, so they had a whole four day eating schedule planned out. Day 1 would be breakfast with Jack and dinner with Merida, Day 2 would be breakfast and dinner, Jack and Punzie and Hiccup and Merida, Day 3 would be breakfast with Merida and dinner with Jack, and Day 4 would bebreakfast and dinner, Jack and Hiccup and Punzie and Merida. Punzie and Hiccup both felt it was quite tedious, however they had two very thick headed friends. Today was day 1.

"They could just give everyone a fearlessness drought. I know it's within their capabilities," Jack said, shaking his head. However, then they saw a head of red hair coming their way breaking a certain schedule plan.

"This is rubbish, isn't it? Can't they just make a fearlessness drought?" Merida asked, sitting down next to Punzie.

"Funny. That's exactly what Jack just said," Hiccup said.

"Speaking of Jack, what are you doing over here? I had breakfast this morning with the guys and you had dinner," Jack said.

"I just had a question. Then I'll be gone, out of you're hair," Merida said. She turned to Punzie and Hiccup.

"Aren't dream catchers supposed to be just a superstitious thing?" she asked.

"Of course not. Dream catchers are enchanted to catch negative thoughts, which cause nightmares," Hiccup said.

"Wow. That sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. You're nightmares will be gone in no time, Punzie," Merida said, cheerfully.

"However, these are really strong nightmares, too strong for how much dream catchers are enchanted. The teachers are just getting desperate, it seems," Hiccup said.

"Oh yeah, before I forget. I brought this down for you," Jack said, pulling a small box out from his robes and handing it to Punzie.

"Is it the...?" Punzie asked, curiously.

"Yep. It's for tonight," Jack said,
proudly. Punzie and Merida tore open the box, eagerly.

"There's nothing there," Merida said, disappointedly.

"Look again, princess," Jack said, putting his hand into the box and slipping it under part of the cloth before pulling his hand up. Punzie gasped.

"Your hand isn't there anymore!" she said.

"That's fascinating," Hiccup said, reaching out and inspecting part of the cloak.

"Okay, okay. Put it back now. We don't want the others to catch wind that we have such an item," Jack said, stuffing it back into the box. He handed it back to Punzie.

"You two better not let anything happen to it," Jack said, seriously.

"Don't worry, I won't let anything happen to it!" Punzie said, honorably.

"What about you, Red?" Jack asked, turning to Merida.

"Don't worry. I won't ruin it. I'm not an idiot," Merida huffed.

"Well, I'm going back to my table. See you guys tonight for the big event," Merida said, standing up and walking away. Even though the Halloween feast was that night, they all knew what "big" event she was talking about. They slinked through the day, Merida and Punzie getting more and more nervous as the day went on.

Finally, classes were over and it was time for the big Halloween feast. While it was going, Punzie and Merida snuck away from their tables and met in the girls bathroom. Punzie pulled out the box from her cloak.

"Are you ready?" Merida asked, unsure if Punzie would be okay or not doing this.

"Yes," Punzie said, fiercely, she wasn't going to let the nightmares rule her life anymore, and then they threw the cloak over the, using the mirror in the girls bathroom to help them. Then, they snuck out of the girls bathroom and towards the library. Suddenly, they heard voices. The two of them darted behind a column, waiting for the people to pass when they realized they were unnerved an invisible cloak. Thus, the two of them stood very still, super still as Edna the caretaker walked by. She stopped for a second.

"Hmm. I sense something strange here. Maybe fear?" she asked herself, looking around her. Suddenly, she started walking towards Punzie and Merida. They froze, unable to move, both holding their breath for fear she'd hear it. Her hand reached towards them and they shrunk away, as quietly as possible. Then, her hand went straight for above them. To one of the dream catchers on the wall.

"Oh North. What are you doing? Dream catchers won't work. How are we going to fix this," Edna said. Then, she let go of the dream catcher and walked down the corridor. Merida let out the breath she's been holding in and breathed a sigh of relief.

"That was a close one, huh." she said, her nerves on the fritz.

"Huh, Punzie?" Merida asked. Punzie didn't respond.

Save us Rapunzel! Before we die!

"Punzie?" Merida turned towards her friend, but her view was partially obstructed by the cloak. She ripped it off and stuffed it into her pocket.

I'm coming, you guys. I promise I won't let you die!

"Punzie! Can you hear me?" Merida asked, grabbing her friends shoulders and looking into her eyes. She shook her.

What? Like you let your mother die? How can we trust you?

"Punzie!? What's going on?" she panicked, shaking her shoulders frantically.

Too late dear. Sorry. I don't know what you expected though, it's not like you could save anyone.

Tears started rolling down Punzie's cheeks.

"Punzie! Wake up!" Merida practically screamed. Punzie really needed that fearlessness drought, but at the moment she needed help more. Merida dragged her back to the Great Hall where Jack and Hiccup were waiting just inside the entrance of it, both eating pumpkin pasties.

"You two! She won't wake up! She needs help!" Merida said, handing Punzie to them.

"Take her. I have to go to the library for the draught," Merida said.

"Wait! I'll come with you," Jack said, but she was already gone.