Ch 56

Chapter 56

                “Holy shit…” Alison gasped. Cara stared, speechless, as I stepped out of the dressing room and on to the pedestal. I spun 180 degrees so the girls could see the back of my wedding dress.

                “Ditto,” Cara said. I blushed.

                “You like it?” I asked, turning back around. “It’s very simple…”

                “It’s stunning!” Alison assured me.

“It’s the perfect dress for you,” Cara agreed. “I like that it’s comes just below the knee, perfect for a beach wedding.”

“A night beach wedding,” Alison corrected.

“It’s the same length as your dresses,” I said. “And the guys will all be in shorts, so the pictures will look great.”

“I still can’t believe you are letting them wear shorts,” Cara said, shaking her head.

“It was a good compromise,” I laughed, remembering how Dave and I had stared each other down in a mock stand off. He’d said no to khaki pants and I’d said no to cargo shorts and sneakers. We finally arrived and khaki shorts with nice leather flip flops - dress casual.

“That’s what it’s all about: compromise,” Ali said with a nod. I smiled at her. Since Dave and I had kissed and made-up, things began to happen fast. With Adam overseeing production on the album, Dave and I were able to focus on the wedding plans. He and I had taken off with JD for a long weekend in Virginia to finalize some details there. We scouted a cute little Inn, right on the beach. We would get married on the shore, then have the reception at the Inn afterwards. We worked with a local wedding planner, too, who helped us realize Dave’s dream of a night beach wedding. Finally, we met with a Justice of the Peace, whom the wedding planner had highly recommended and she helped us outline the prefect ceremony.

“Do you like the fit?” Crystal, the seamstress asked me, bringing me back to the present. I ran my hands over the smooth satin, down my sides to my hips.

“Yes, I think it’s perfect,” I said. “Even though it’s strapless, I don’t think its going anywhere!”

“Good,” she replied. “That’s how it’s supposed to feel.” I turned again, admiring the way the dress hugged my figure then flared out slightly just below my waist

“Do you want to try it with your veil?” Crystal. Ali and Cara gasped.

“Yes,” I said smiling. I quickly twisted my hair up with a clip and Crystal took the veil, attached to a comb and tucked it in. It was a simple veil, falling a few inches below my shoulders, trimmed in the same satin ribbon that ran around the bottom of my dress. “Simple and fun…” I said, twirling again.

“But classy and very you,” Cara said, stepping over to the pedestal to plant a quick kiss on my cheek.

“I can’t believe we are leaving in a week from today!” Ali exclaimed. I smiled and nodded.

“It’s going to be so much fun,” I agreed, “And at the end of it all, I will be Mrs. Grohl!” The three of us squealed with excitement. “Ok, get me out of this dress!” I said, turning to Crystal. “I have to pick up JD from Virginia’s!” Crystal undid the long row of buttons in the back of the dress and helped me out. I changed back into my clothes and gave my two bridesmaids a quick kiss good-bye.

“Hey, Mom!” I called, letting myself into Ginny’s house. She was sitting on her couch watching little JD sitting in his Busy Baby Table, playing with all the various amusing gadgets on it.