Ch 57

Chapter 57

~*~*Dave’s Point of View*~*~

                I am, and have been for the majority of my life, a rock star. And some of the time, the living the life of a rock star is one big cliche. Drunken binges, black outs and mornings filled with regret. I had experienced many, many of these mornings, which is how I knew that, at that very moment, as I struggled to open my eyes, I was about to experience yet another.

                Next to me, in this strange bed, in this strange room, was a mess of dark brown hair, attached to a woman whose face I could not see. I was overcome with the urge to jump up and get as far away from whatever mistake I had made, but I was literally paralyzed with fear. I tried to replay the night in my head.

A bunch of us guys had left the party at my house and drove into the city, where Josh had booked a hotel suite and we had a few more drinks while we waited for the “entertainment” to arrive. I’d felt slightly uneasy at the thought of having strippers up, always worried about bad press for myself and the band. Surely, Dave Grohl, the nicest guy in rock, wouldn’t party with strippers. But when I’d tried to voice my concerns to the rest of the guys, they bitched and moaned that I was a buzz kill and told me to stop acting like a vagina. I realized that this night wasn’t about me at all, that they were using it as an excuse to party and far be it from me to rain on their parade.

The “entertainment” arrived and the guys went nuts. Being the groom-to-be, I was entitled to the first few lap dances, which I good-naturedly accepted. I would be lying if I said it wasn’t incredibly hot; what man doesn’t love a lap dance? But I was slightly relived when they were over and the girls moved on to “entertain” the rest of the male guests. From there, the night degenerated into a crazy hotel suite party. Talk about cliche. The strippers called more of their friends, who showed up with more drinks and the guys acted like dogs that had been just let of their leash, humping anything that moved. Most of us kind of sat back and drank and watched the debauchery of a good, old fashion bachelor party.

I had a fantastic buzz on and I guess it’s probably safe to say I was drunk. But not black out drunk. Not until I started smoking weed, that is.

“Come on man,” Taylor said, pulling me into the master bathroom. “Destiny here has an early wedding present for you!” Destiny, tall, with dark hair and piercing blue eyes, reached in to her furry hot pink purse and pulled out a few joints. I love smoking weed. I hadn’t smoked in a long time and had I been sober, I probably would have respectfully declined, but, at the time, it seemed like the perfect way to end the night. I’d get stoned, mellow out, sit in a corner with Taylor and giggle. The last thing I remember is stumbling out of the bathroom, a cloud of smoke pouring out behind us.

“Shit,” I swore quietly and the figure beside me moaned and shifted in bed. I stilled, not wanting her to wake up, as if not seeing her face could make it not have happened. I looked around the room. I was closest to the bed room door and my terrible mistake lay on her side, facing the back wall of the bedroom. I was still wearing my boxers but all my other clothes were gone. I squeezed my eyes shut, panic washing over me.

This was Kate’s nightmare. The dream she’d had on the plane during our flight in. I’d made it come true. After I promised her, after I’d reassured her. On the day before I was set to marry her, I’d made the biggest mistake of my life.

I had to get out of that room. Slowly, I pulled the covers back and rolled out of the bed. I looked back to make sure my friend from last night hadn’t woken up and luckily, she stayed passed out. I opened the door painfully slow to keep it from making a sound and crept out into the living room. Jack and Josh were sitting on the couch, drinking coffee and looking only slightly hung over.