Chapter nine

Levi

I watched (Y/N) fall, the titans all gathering with their mouths open prepared to snap her up. Their arms were extended and I watched with horror as her eyes closed shut, as she seemed to accept her fate. I couldn't let her die. Not before I got answers, I deserved answers!

Diving down, I used whatever gas I had left in my canisters and flew at her. I collided with her body hard enough to knock the wind out of both of us, my arms wrapping around her tightly before swinging to safety, just avoiding a titan's excited tongue. I held her tightly against my chest, her back towards me as her hair swinging in my face. Her body stiffen in my arms and she looked over my shoulder, her eyes meeting mine and it was if we weren't in the field. We were back in my room about to fall asleep in bed after sex and everything was fine.

But that wasn't the truth and we both knew it.

Before I got us to a tree, she spun out of my arms, smashing her elbow in my face before exploding away from me without a backward glance. She landed on the titan and it was if he knew it was her because he didn't attack or try to swat at her. She must know the human inside then, the thought makes me sick. Reiner and Jean, the only two still around landed next to me as I swung onto a branch.

"Sir?" Jean asks, his blades still out and I breath out heavily in frustration. We are nearly at the end of the forest and soon entering titan territory but there will be no trees, meaning they'll get away.

"Proceed with caution, we can't get them but we can at least see where they are going," I order and they both nod as I take off, the two of them following close behind.

My mind was racing, everything (Y/N) has ever said to me and seeing it in a different light now. I feel stupid, humiliated and used in a way that is so foreign to me I can't make it out. It was all a trick from the first time she entered the training corp to choosing the scouts.

You weren't a target... You had nothing to do with my mission.

Bullshit I thought savagely as I pushed my gas harder and slowly I was catching up with the titan. But then again, as my mind raced back to the beginning when I first met (Y/N), Erwin had wanted her on the team. Could he have known about her being a mole? Perhaps he had already suspected her brother Naoko and wanted the entire set of traitors. And I approached her, Erwin again assigning her to my squad in hopes to catch her in a traitorous act. He said he wanted her to become a captain one day, but why? Because she was the best in her class? My mind continued to work as I refocused on the present. I would think about this later. A wondering mind would get me killed. (Y/N) wasn't staring at us, in fact, she wasn't even protecting his neck. I searched quickly, wondering if she had fallen but saw a glimpse of her boots. She'd moved to his shoulder, holding down at the earlobe as the blond hair kept her hidden.

I never lied to you... Only by omission...

Still lying I reasoned as the titan broke from the forest and suddenly I heard horses squealing from below.

"Captain! It's Eito!" Reiner reported and I saw the back of Eito's head as he raced away, following closely behind the titan with no fear of him. This confirmed that it was someone we knew. As my eyes searched the horses, I saw that there were two horses without riders, being held by other traitorous soldiers. I squinted looking for Hiro when it suddenly dawned on me, the realisation sending cold shivers up my spine.

"The titan is Hiro!" I murmur to myself and the others stare at me in shock. "The titan is Hiro!"

"It can't be!" Jean exclaimed as we watched them get away. Hiro had slowed down a little bit and from beneath his golden locks, (Y/N) had emerged looking towards the trees. I couldn't make out whether or not she could see me and I couldn't see her face well, but she pulled something from her waist and lifted it in the air. Green smoke shot up into the sky, the flare lighting up in the bright moonlight. She stayed on his shoulder, not turning away for a long time and as they disappeared, I felt my heart break.