Chapter fourteen

Reader

The sun shone through the window into the living room and I frowned at it as I sipped my glass of water. Sitting on the couch, I had nothing to do but sit and wait. Commander Erwin had set Michido and me in a fancy, middle-class apartment that was quite nice. Once we had settled, he had given us money for food and told me to wait for the call that we would be leaving for an expedition soon. This had both excited me and terrified me because I would have to leave Michdio and everyone who I had trusted enough to take care of him would be with me. Michido's solution was completely unacceptable.

"This way you can take care of me-" He pleaded as we walked through the market one morning. To keep a low profile, I remained using the scarf over my face which allowed me to blend into the ground.

"For the last time, I am not bringing you on an expedition." I sneered at him and he rolled his eyes at me as bought some bread. "I'm serious. I'm only going because I have to in order to keep us safe in the city. You will be going to the underground into hiding."

"What! No!" Michido cried out and he gripped the edge of my shirt. "Don't leave me down there. I hate it."

"I know but there is nothing else we can do." Michido gave me wide eyes but I shook my head, shutting down the conversation as I moved away from him.

We hadn't spoken about it since thankfully, which helped with the fact no one from the unit had come by the apartment. As I sipped my water, I moved towards the window and leaned against it. I watched as the civilians in the street wandering about their daily lives as if there was nothing wrong in life. I always found it so baffling that even with all the attacks, all the blood that had been spilled in these streets that everyone felt the sense of normality.

Perhaps it was because I had seen a lot of war.

There was a knock at the door and Michido flew from the kitchen to the door as I stayed still, staring out the window. I knew that no one would dare make an attempt to attack us, not so soon after the trial. Oddly enough, there had been no coverage of the incident and no one knew what had happened to me. As far as they were concern I had been executed for being a traitor. Hence the headscarf.

"Oh hey, guys. (Y/N), look who it is here." Michido called and looking over my shoulder I turned to see Mikasa, Eren, Reiner and much to my surprise, Levi. They all seemed to have eyes for Michido as they smiled down at him. Even Levi cracked a smile for him.

My insides turned as I gazed at him and I could feel my cheeks burn red as I turned back to the window hoping he would ignore me. I was still stinging from our conversation a few days ago...

Walking back to my apartment alone, Michido having enrolled in a school, I stopped short as I rounded the corner. Levi stood so casually across my door, his arms crossed with his eyes closed. He didn't belong here, he looked so out of place. My heart started to race and I almost dropped the grocery bag I had been holding. Levi didn't react though I knew he knew I was there. Taking a deep breath, I sighed as I made my way to the door ruffling for my keys.

"Hey." I cleared my throat and I felt blood rush to my cheeks. I cursed my body's reaction, hoping he couldn't see it as I shielded myself with my long hair. Levi nodded to me as I unlocked the door and without a word, he followed me inside.

"Is the kid around?" Levi asked as I placed the groceries on the counter. I mentally patted myself on the back for cleaning the house before I had left, although it could never be up to Levi's standards.

"I finally managed to boot him off to school, so he won't be back for a few hours I think." Again my cheeks burned with thoughts of what we could do for those few hours began to flood through my mind. I shivered and quickly turned my back as I began to unload the groceries.