Chapter one

Reader

"You can either join the Garrison to defend the wall, risk your life and fight titans with the Recon Corps or defend the King by joining the Military Police. However, those who wish to join the Military Police have already been announced. These are the top of your class!" My training commander called out and I felt all eyes on as me as I walk out with the other top ten graduates in the class.

A hand landed on my shoulder and I looked sideways to see Eriko smiling down at me. He had finished sixth in the class and was pretty darn pleased with himself. Eriko was a nice guy but I had found him a little too familiar with me sometimes, enough to make me uncomfortable. I nodded back to him as I took my place beside Hiromasa, my best friend who finished second. As I stood there in front of my other classmates, it's hard not to see the envy in their eyes. I finished top of our class and I didn't care about any of them. At the end of the day, I had earned this spot and no one could say any different. The commander of the class had dubbed me one of the fastest ODM users in a very long time.

"If looks could kill..." Hiro said softly to me and I gave him a faint smirk in his direction. His small green eyes flared up in astonishment and I rolled my eyes at him, "You smiled! Surely your cheeks are about to crack or something?"

"Shut up." I murmur as our commander stood in front of the crowd.

"Tomorrow you will decide whether or not you will become part of the Garrison, a Scout or part of the Military Police. Dismissed!" He shouted and I sighed heavily, relaxing my posture. I certainly wasn't going to miss his voice or him. He annoyed the hell out of me and most of the time I just wanted to punch him in the face.

"Where are you guys going?" Eriko was by my side in an instant as Hiro and I walked off the stage followed by our classmates.

"I'm headed for the scouts," Hiro says and I nodded with him we headed to the hall for dinner. Eriko looked astonished and whips his head between the two of us.

"You can't be serious! You two could be in the Military Police and you are choosing the scouts?!" Eriko says quite loudly and everyone stops to listen in. I looked around, making eye contact with loads of people and I frowned at them.

"I didn't do all that training, break my back to perfect the art of killing to let it go rusty in the Military Police. Besides, I'm not afraid of dying." I shrugged and I heard a snort from across the courtyard. Everyone turned to see Commander Erwin of the Recon Corps walking towards our little group, his gaze staring directly at me. I lifted my chin as my frown intensified. Beside him is Captain Levi and I can't help but admire how attractive they both were. Everyone salutes them and I join in as they both stop in front of Hiro, Eriko and myself.

"You must be (Y/N - L/N). You know, I once stood in front of someone once before and they said something very similar to you. Do you know who I'm talking about?" Erwin asked and I shake my head, "I'm talking about the titan shifter, Eren Jaeger."

I stood there for a minute just staring at Erwin before raising an eyebrow, "I don't know how to respond to that sir."

Erwin laughs but I remained unmoved, my expression without emotion making the situation awkward, "It was just a curious fact is all. So you are interested in joining the Scouts?"

"Yes, sir."

"Why?" Erwin asked and I raised my eyebrows at him, looking at Hiro who seems just as unnerved.

"Sir?" Hiro asks uncertain and Erwin shakes his head.

"We've had our eye on the top ten for a long time, I'm happy to hear you two are interested in the scouts but surely you both must know about the death rate? The survival rates of most recruits?" Erwin continues and I snorted at him as he turns his attention back to me.