Chapter twelve

SUICIDE ATTEMPTS. I'LL BE PUTTING ASTRIX WHEN IT STARTS AND FINISHES

Reader

I threatened them as I lunged forward at them swinging my blades wildly. They both yelled in terror falling backward and the moment they hit the ground I turned on my heels and flew away, putting my scarf back into place. I shouldn't have revealed myself but I couldn't help a bit of theatrics.

The moment I took to the air, however, I was surrounded by many green capes all converging on my position. Twisting in the air, I unhooked my ODM gear and free fell through the air, narrowly avoiding their blades as I swung into an open window. Racing across the floor, I smashed my way through the opposite window jumping from building to building. I tried to remember where I was, trying to navigate to the stairs but my mind was frazzled, trying to concentrate on not getting my head sliced off.

Jumping into the street, I stayed in the dark as I tried to get my bearings. I pressed my back into the wall and pulled off my scarf, trying to get as much as I could into my lungs. My chest was constricting my breathing and I closed my eyes, my blood pounding through me.

"(Y/N)! I know you are here." I gasped as Commander Erwin's voice echoed through all the chaos and I crouched low to the ground, letting the shadows completely surround me, "Why don't you make this as painless as possible and come out?"

Looking around a corner, I could see I was one hundred meters away from the stairs. I knew I could make it, I didn't have a choice. Against the Military Police, I could have made that journey with my eyes closed but the Scouts... They were in my league, they were fast and smart almost as if they knew your moves before you even thought about making them.

"Is this what your brother would have wanted?" Erwin cried and I could see Naoko's face as if he were right in front of me. Erwin didn't know my brother, he didn't understand the promise that we made to Michido. His voice flooded into my head and I slowly rose to my feet, my weapons raised.

Run and survive.

Hooking onto the rooftop, I popped out of the alleyway and it was as if they had known I was there. Two soldiers made a grab for me and I knocked them back with ease as I landed heavily on the roof, my ankles screaming in protest. My body began to move, my eyes scanning around me and as I leapt into the air I saw Commander Erwin glaring at me. With his weapons raised, he shot towards me and I blocked his swords as they swung at my torso.

"Should have gone for my head." I sneered through my teeth before kicking off his chest before swinging my other leg, my foot colliding with his face. He grunted and fell through the air but I didn't stop to see where he landed. Landing on the next roof, I flipped off it to the ground and ran to the stairs.

The gatekeeper saw me coming and signalled for the gate to open, "I can't keep them here long!" He cried out and I nodded in understanding.

"Do what you can and nothing more." I murmured as I slipped through the tiny crack. It closed immediately behind me and I began sprinting up the stairs. The moment I reached the second landing, my legs were spent and my chest was on fire. Sweat stuck to my forehead and I began to cough, not used to this amount of running. Moving my cape aside, I sheathed my blades and began to hook into the walls of each landing. Flying through the small corridors, I kept my ears open for any sounds coming from behind me.

With each passing landing, the fresh air began to get cooler and cleaner. I grinned not able to help the desire to feel the sun and wind on my face. Days in the underground had made my perception of the time go out of whack and I felt myself craving the little things like fresh air.

As I rounded the last corner, I burst into the sunlight and screamed with pain. Closing my eyes, I stumbled through the street as I pulled my hood over my head. My vision was impaired as I tried to scramble into an alleyway or somewhere I could try to regain my vision.