Chapter three

Reader

The next week was uneventful and I was going stir crazy. All I need was train, learn, eat, sleep and repeat. This was normally fine when I was in the walls but we were in titan territory and I wanted to kill something. I was really good at it. I tried to keep away from Levi's squad and Jean as much as I could but unfortunately, because on the upcoming expedition, I would be with them it was very hard to ignore the entire squad during briefings. Jean didn't make eye contact with me and I was happy to keep it that way. Eren and Sasha had gotten extremely chatty towards me and I had the distinct impression they wanted to be my friend; whether that was because they were ordered to or because they wanted to, that was up for debate. Hiro was loving the attention Sasha was throwing his way but Eriko was less enthusiastic. With more people trying to be my friend meant less time for him to be try be my friend. I think the break between the two of us was going to do us some good if I was honest.

"You know (Y/N), I think you can be considered a bitch," Hiro said as I helped strap the horses in the morning hours.

It was the newbie's job to ready every single horse and because there were only three of us Hiro and I had started at the crack of dawn. I was too antsy to sleep anyway.

"A bitch? Yeah, I'd own that label." I shrugged as I moved onto the next horse. Eriko was a few horses away from us and already looked exhausted, "Want help?" I offered half heartily and he shook his head smiling widely at me.

"Just because you offered doesn't change the fact. This is the last three anyway." Hiro shook his head at me and I shrugged.

"Let's eat breakfast. We offered to help, he said no. We'll meet you in the hall." I call out to Eriko who nods happily.

As we walk in, I groan seeing the only free seats left are a couple next to Eren and Mikasa. I knew Mikasa didn't like me but I wasn't too fussed, she seemed like she didn't like anyone; except Eren of course.

"Finished already? That was fast." Eren grins at me and I nod though Hiro snorts at the comment.

"Already? Man, we've been up since before anyone was awake. I'm pretty sure we were up before some people had gone to sleep. And (Y/N)," He turned to me as Eriko slumps down next to Hiro looking defeated, "You've got these things called smile muscles. Perhaps you should use them around others so that people don't think you're a bitch. See?" He pinches my cheeks roughly and pushes them up making a mock smile. I don't move or anything, I just sit there looking annoyed. Eren and a few of the others laughed and chattered idly amongst themselves while I had a bit of bread. I wasn't hungry but I knew I needed to eat to keep my energy up for today.

Naoko and Levi strolled into the hall and I sat up a little straighter when I noticed they were walking towards our table. Hiro stopped talking to Sasha too as everyone stopped to listen in. Naoko's eyes were on me and he was smiling down at me with a look that did not bode well for me. Levi seemed to have a frown on his face and he looked unimpressed.

"Now (Y/N) I have promised Levi that you are going to behave yourself and follow orders to the letter. I trust that when we all return Levi will have a glowing report about you and shower you with compliments. Do I make myself clear?" He spoke softly as though he was addressing a child and I locked my jaw down. I respected Naoko but when he spoke like that he made me want to do the opposite of whatever he had asked. I don't nod or respond and the silence is deafening. Everyone's heads are snapping between myself, Levi and Naoko who over time is now getting less happy and more frustrated.

"I'm deadly serious (Y/N)." He adds and I stand up slowly, all eyes returning to me. Without a word and walk out of the hall. As I walk to the stables, I hear something that makes my blood turn from a light simmer to boiling point in a nano-second.