10⊙ Athene Noctua

TEN  

athene noctua

Owl of Athena, the goddess of wisdom

"Draco Lucius Malfoy," a black haired girl growled between her teeth. "Look at me when I'm speaking to you!"

Groaning, the blond boy flicked his fingers to show he was listening. He was at the living room, right next to the kitchen.

"Malfoy!" Pansy snapped, throwing down her rubber spatula making some melted chocolate spatter on the white marble kitchen counter. Next to her, Hermione frowned as she quickly cleaned the offensive specks. She was teaching Pansy how to bake cookies in the muggle way, or as Malfoy had described, "uselessly tiresome style." She had not expected, however, to have her precious chocolate decorate her mother's prized counter.

Malfoy continued to roll his eyes, ignoring the enraged witch.

"Well," chimed up Hermione as she measured out her flour, "why are you transferring?"

"I've told you all multiple times," Draco drawled. "Because mother wants me to."

"And I've told you multiple times," Pansy bit back, "to give us a better explanation!"

"There is no other explanation!" He threw up his arms in the air, his eyes wide in frustration. "I'm only going to be gone for a year, and mother said to invite all of you over for summer break, so what is the problem?"

"We're going to miss you," said Theo, who was chopping nuts. He scraped the pieces carefully with his hands and put them in a separate bowl from where he had sliced chocolate into chunks. "You know that."

Draco coughed. "I'll write," he tried.

"Only once," Pansy scrunched up her face. "I know you, Malfoy."

"Fine. Twice."

"Draco!" Pansy lifted her bowl of melted chocolate slightly in a threatening motion.

After watching her friends bicker back and forth, Hermione asked calmly, "it doesn't have anything to do with what happened with the chamber of secrets, right?"

Bewildered, his stone coloured eyes snapped up to meet Hermione's honey ones. "No," he answered a second too late.

"Hm," she narrowed her eyes at him. She knew that he knew that she had noticed his pause, but she decided not to call on his mistake. "We really will miss you."

"Don't go confessing to me now, Granger," he said in a bored voice. "You aren't my type."

She felt her face go red, the heat tickling her neck and cheeks. "You wish! Besides, you aren't what I usually fashion in boys, either," she made a face.

"Oh, then a redhead or a black head?" Draco sneered, effortlessly dodging the tea towel she threw at his way.

"Shut up, Malfoy," Hermione huffed. She poured her batter into the metal pans and placed them in the oven. "Done! Now we wait."

"When will your parents come back?" Theo asked, looking at the muggle clock. A boring one, without any trace of magic. "You sure it'll be okay for us to spend the night?"

She put her hair up in a loose ponytail, joining Draco in the sitting room settee. "Yes, my parents are away for their summer break, and they've said I'm old enough to take care of myself now."

"We are going to be third years in a few months," Pansy reminded Theo, flopping down next to Hermione. "It'd be boring without that blond prat, though."