Chapter 1 -- Escape

-Two Years After the Wreck-

"What new tricks does Suicide Betty have for us this morning?" I watched the lanky, agile, yet attractive male, I referred to as the Keeper, toss a piece of bread inside my cell. He bent down so his feline shaped, gold eyes could peruse my cage. He didn't bother waiting for a reply, I hadn't given one the entire two hundred and forty times he dropped off food. The number was lodged into my brain because it marked that I had been in captivity for approximately four months. As he walked to the next cage carrying a knapsack of bread, he favored his right leg.

It was just another day in paradise, sitting in my chain-linked confined prison. After staring out of the fence for so long, I started to wonder if dogs in a pound ever regained their sight without seeing diamonds. I continued to see the prisms even when I closed my eyes. The only reprieve I had was the dome made of black tin that covered the top of my cage. It was only high enough for my already short form to squat. This place was the equivalent to a pound, but humans were the pets in this establishment.

It was a hell that made me hungry for death, but each attempt I made left me scarred but alive. The man who delivered my food everyday may have appeared to have physical problems, but he was far faster and stronger than any human I had ever witnessed. And that was just it—he wasn't human—he was one of them.

An everlasting beautiful monster—or what we slaves called Amaranthine.

It all started the day of my wreck.

The life I had before the accident was nothing but a blur. It wasn't that I lost my memories, but rather they were memories that weren't worth remembering. I had lost my mother at a young age and had a father who blamed me for her death so I grew up in an abusive home. Earlier in my imprisonment I wondered if he even cared that I disappeared. I never knew if I became a missing person or if they found the truck for that matter. I wondered if the authorities ruled that I ran away. All I knew for sure was that no one was going to be looking for me. My father would have rather spent time finding the bottom of his bottle than worrying about the whereabouts of his daughter. That life was gone and I didn't sit and dwell on it; instead, I thought about what happened after.

Following the wreck, other than the dream of which I thought I was going to heaven and met my deceased mother, all I could remember from waking up was the pain. It had felt as if someone had smashed my face in with a baseball bat. My torso had been a shooting stab so strong that I feared that I was numb from my waist down. The only part of my body that was functional was my brain so I wallowed in agony as I had tried to piece together what had happened. I remembered bits and pieces like the truck vibrating around me as I pushed it to greater speeds. Then when I recalled the train, I started to put two and two together. Just when I wondered why I wasn't at a hospital since the railroad engineer would have alerted the authorities, I had begun to hear deep voices that spoke broken English.

They were two males, and at the time, I didn't know my hell had begun when they called me a human with such avid interest. Assuming that I must have looked like a pile of body parts, I let my mind fade back into unconsciousness. The second time I had woken was more of a telltale sign that things were not quite as they should have been. I awoke to a slap of cold water that had come from a man whose eyes I would never forget.

The darkness of the room had cast a shadow over his features, but I could tell he was a man women would fight over. His eyes seemed to glow in the dark. They were a deep blue that was so faceted that I was immediately lost in them. Little did I know, I was looking at the face of an Amaranthine. He had said some words to me that day. Words that were still a mystery to me. Though, I remembered every single one of them.