Chapter 23 -- Please

"No worries there." I followed Quinn out of bathroom and through his bedroom to his studio. On his computer desk was a sheet of paper that he handed to me. "I've made a list of some things you can work on today."

A quick glance at the sheet showed that he gave me a few sewing exercises to work on, and then a list of cleaning duties. If I stretched out the time, it could last me all day. Though, if I wanted to read, I could get it done in half the time.

"I have one favor to ask, though." Quinn said as he scurried to collect some utensils.

I hesitated. "What is that?"

"Can you make me your one of a kind coffee?"

I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes. In the mornings, I had started to make coffee before the day started. I was never one for the bitter taste of coffee, but I didn't like adding milk and sugar each time. Getting creative, I blended a concoction and after Quinn tried it—he immediately got addicted. With the way he looked half awake, it didn't surprise me that he would want one to go.

"I'll meet you downstairs then?"

He smiled, "Thanks, you are my hero."

Feeling sheepish that he would call me a hero for merely making him coffee, I spun around to hide my heated face before I left his studio. Kaylyn hadn't entered my mind until I was walking toward the kitchen. I saw his black dressed form sitting at the island. It was uncommon for him to be sitting in the kitchen in the morning. He had a book propped in front of his face. Seeing him there caused my heart to sputter in my chest. I paused in the billiard room.

My mind took me down memory lane so quickly that I brushed my hand against my neck when I felt his warm breath there. The sensation caused shivers to run down my spine. He had held me so gently the night before, as he told me that he would not take my life. Trying to ignore all the emotions that tried to well up at once, I told myself that I had a job to do. Quinn had asked for coffee, and even if it was in my best interest to avoid Kaylyn, it couldn't be helped.

Letting out a sigh, I headed into the kitchen and went straight to the coffee pot. There was a tingling at my back as if someone was staring at it, but I chose not to acknowledge the sensation. Instead, I started to make a fresh pot of coffee. As it was brewing, I grabbed a thermos and put a thin layer of cocoa powder at the bottom along with a spoon full of sugar. It was a mixture I had put together one morning after finding the cocoa powder in the cupboard. Quinn still hadn't figured out the secret ingredient.

"The coffee ready?" Quinn asked as he rushed into the kitchen with a leather satchel hung over his shoulder.

"Just finished." I answered as I put the milk back into the refrigerator. Quinn grabbed the thermos and took an inhale of the steam rising from the small opening.

"Thanks again!" He placed one finger under my chin and quickly tipped my head back in an affectionate manner before heading out of the kitchen. "Bye, Kiddo. Please don't kill each other while I'm gone."

As I watched him exit the kitchen, I couldn't help but think about how ironic his last sentence was. It perturbed me since I had been doing fine with not having to remember my episode, but now it was ever present in my mind. Along with the memory came the knowledge that I was in the same room as Kaylyn. Now that I had nothing to distract myself with, I had to acknowledge his presence. I didn't want him to think I was afraid to be around him.

My eyes might have been harsh, but it was only to hide the fact that there were no hard feelings toward him. I was glad that he chose not to bite me. It was difficult to think about it now with a rational mind. What would have happened if he would have killed me? What would Quinn have done? Technically, I was Kaylyn's property, but surely Quinn would have been upset. Would he have believed Kaylyn, if he told him that I asked him to end my life?