Chapter 27 -- Damsel

That night it took me sometime to convince myself to sleep. My mind was stressed over the new vampire. When finally darkness crept in, it wasn't long before an itching sensation roused me from unconsciousness. The hairs on my body were sticking up, causing them to irritatingly rub against the duvet covering me. I would have reached to my legs to scratch them, but the panicked feeling my body was feeding me made me pause.

Someone was in my room.

To be more specific, there was an Amaranthine in my room. Feeling an icy claw reach for my chest, I opened my eyes. He sat in a chair next to my bed. The light outside in the hallway was on, casting a soft glow that illuminated the male's silhouette. His leg was crossed in front of him, and he sat regally in the chair, regarding me with a curious almost scrutinizing gaze. His green eyes seemed to glow in the dark, and I gulped as I realized who was in my room with me.

Shalrohn – The Snake.

My mind went from frantic to calculating. I didn't know how he managed to sneak into the resort home, or how he got passed the other two vampires, but he was here. Kaylyn had warned me to be on my guard. I just didn't expect that I would need to be guarded so soon. I allowed the fear ripening within me to take hold, but I reminded myself that this Amaranthine wasn't one that I should be afraid of. He was the type of Amaranthine that I was used to seeing in the slave trades. The kind that fed from fear.

Instead, I regarded him with the calm exterior that I had shown any Amaranthine who had watched me in the Slave Trades. My eyes, though, were sparks of fire. I knew at any moment that I could scream for one of the vampires, but so did he. Maybe it was a part of his thrill? Either way, I was going to wait and see what this Amaranthine had planned. No need to sound the alarms before I learned what I could from this Amaranthine.

"I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted to talk." As he spoke in a hushed voice, his eyes narrowed. Something told me that he was reading far too much into my eyes. I knew I should have expressed caution, tried to play along with him to learn what he wanted. But I knew I was a bad actress, and my hatred toward Amaranthine ran far too deep for me to play along with whatever game he had planned. I made no notion that I was willing to reply, so he continued.

"Have I made your acquaintance before? It has been bothering me that I don't remember your beautiful face." He was laying it on thick, his eyes gleaming with interest. His question prompted a response. He eyed at me expectantly. I stared back at him.

His eyebrows rose. "Not much of talker, are you? You don't have to be shy with me."

He made a grab for my hand. Being that I wasn't distracted this time, out of reflex, I yanked it back from reach. He paused and then gave me a sinister grin. It was a crack in character – one intentionally given.

"So you've heard a thing or two about me?" This time when he went for my hand, he used his lightning fast reflexes. I wasn't quite sure of his intentions for grabbing my hand until he pushed my hand back so that my wrist was bent in an awkward fashion causing a sharp pain to run up my arm. Unable to get away from the pain he was enacting, I looked him squarely in the face.

"It probably doesn't compare to the truth." His words were meant to spur fear, but it only furthered my resolve. This was the kind of treatment I was accustomed to, and I easily slipped into my calm reserve where nothing could affect me. I may have been in pain, but the emotion was one comparable to fear. If one didn't give in to the emotion, then it barely affected them. The numbing sensation was like riding a bike to me, and I let it take ahold.