Chapter 19 -- Runway

"Wake up Sam-I-am!" The shouting voice woke me from a dead slumber, and when I refused to acknowledge the presence I felt like I was in a sudden earthquake. I didn't know what was going on, but it felt like someone was jumping on my bed. I groaned and turned over, bringing my knees closer to my chest so they wouldn't get crushed under the thing that thought my bed was a trampoline.

"Sam! Up! Now!" I heard a voice shout right into my ear, making me roll right out of bed and onto the floor.

"Ow." I whined, holding my bruised head. "Why did you do that?"

"We're going to a runway today!" Quinn jumped off and landed right in front of me. I let out a yelp when he picked me up and gave me a spinning hug.

"You must really love runways." The room spun around me after he put me down, and I did my best to stay upright.

"Yup, now hurry up and put these on!" He shoved clothes into my arms and then pushed my tumbling body into the bathroom. Quinn's excitement was a little frightening, and the idea of attending a runway was also scary. I never even thought that I would be one to go to a show where models pranced around in designer clothes. Sticking with trends was never a forte of mine.

I didn't feel the urge to impress people because their opinions never mattered to me. People like that used to annoy me. I didn't understand their need to move with the crowd. It would have been their dream to go to a runway, but it was something I dreaded. For some reason though, Quinn's excitement sparked something in me. Now that I had the opportunity, I was curious about how it would turn out.

I cleaned myself quickly and changed into the clothes Quinn handed me. Dresses were an article of clothing that I could do without when going out in public, but I had to admit the one that Quinn gave me was adorable. It was a plain black strapless dress that came down to my knees. The only major design on the black cotton was a white embroidered lattice design at the hemming areas.

There was only one other accessory included with the dress. I didn't see it until I grabbed the dress to put it on. The small ribbon had fluttered to the ground, and I quickly retrieved it. I was curious about the small strip of fabric.

It was embroidered with the same lattice design as the dress, so I knew I was supposed to wear it. I just didn't know where. I tied it around my neck first, but when I glanced in the mirror, I felt like I was looking at a girl with a leash around her neck. I immediately tore it away and wrapped it a couple times around my wrist before tying it in a bow. It worked well as a bracelet, so I kept it and worked on the rest of my appearance. I brushed out my hair and kept it down to dry. Once I was finished, I opened the door to find a pair of small heels waiting outside for me. Heels were another object that I detested wearing, but they didn't look that uncomfortable, so I slipped into them.

There was a thick black cardigan waiting for me on my door handle, so I grabbed it before heading downstairs. As I walked down the stairs, I couldn't help but yawn. I didn't keep track of time, but I felt like Quinn woke me up exceptionally early. By the time I entered the kitchen, I felt exhausted. When I first walked in, I found Quinn standing behind the island, placing two pieces of buttered toast on a plate. He had tight white dress pants on and a button up blue shirt with a silver vest over it.

"These are for you." He placed the plate on the island, so I took the seat in front of it.

"Thank you." I tore off a piece of the bread. As I stuck the piece in my mouth, someone walked into the kitchen.

"Okay, grumpy and grumpier! Today is runway day!" Quinn shouted to me and the other person who walked in. I groaned on the inside when Kaylyn sat down at the island. I could only guess that he was going to be joining us. Great.