Chapter 24 -- Alcohol

Quinn wasn't home the next morning when I went by his room. It was disconcerting because I wasn't sure when he was going to be home, and I wasn't keen on spending another day with Kaylyn. The book I had borrowed yesterday was another love story that kept my attention, but it wasn't something I wanted to read all day. The night before I wasn't kept awake by the story, but instead, I couldn't sleep because of my worrying.

Kaylyn's behavior had been peculiar, and I tried to figure out what kind of Amarathine he was. He never tried to harm me, but then again, I never felt like I got on his truly bad side. That made me wonder if he even had a bad side. Maybe I needed to push him more and see if I could break the façade. Then again maybe he wasn't putting up a charade and there really were Amaranthine that thought better of humans. Why then did that vampire give me as a gift to Kaylyn?

It had kept me awake, and I finally decided that I was going to work on pushing Kaylyn's buttons. It appeared yesterday that I had struck some sort of nerve, but as to what had caused his sudden change had stumped me. Since I knew the only way I was going to figure Kaylyn out was to spend more time with him, I headed down the stairs with slow steps. Just in case things got heated, I had my book as a backup plan for something to do while I waited for Quinn. Hunger guided me toward the kitchen.

Kaylyn was sitting in one of the stools with a book in front of his face. My heart did a sputter when I saw him, and I took a breath to calm it, hoping that he didn't hear it. I should have expected him to be sitting there, but I wasn't quite prepared to face him. Then again, when was I ever?

The other thing about Kaylyn was everything about him drew me in from his bed head hair to the white socks covering his feet as he had them propped up on the bar attached to the stool legs. It almost conveyed a humanistic persona. But there was a beauty there and a stillness that wasn't human at all. That was what I had to use to remind myself of what he was.

Heading into the kitchen, I came up with my first plan of attack and slammed my book on the island next to him. He didn't so much as take a breath or let it be known that he was aware of my presence. But I didn't get far before he voiced an opinion.

"Do you have a point to make?" Kaylyn's voice held a hint of aggravation. Wow, it seemed like my book did the trick. Plan for the day—Annoy Kaylyn—check. And because I didn't want to tell him that I wanted to make him mad, I chose not to answer, which I knew was a pet peeve of his. He seemed to come up with his own answer from my silence.

"Then refrain from making dramatic noises with my book. My leniency ends if you ruin another one."

Feeling suddenly possessive over the item that kept me from boredom, I snatched the book off the counter, and carefully sat it down next to the refrigerator. My plan had backfired, and I opened the refrigerator to give myself time to think about my next move. Not even thinking, I grabbed something in the door-pocket. I turned around only to stop suddenly when I saw what I had in my hand. Kaylyn must have noticed my sudden freeze action because he peered up from his book.

I stared at the can that was in my hand and wondered why there was beer in the fridge—not to mention what possessed me to pick it up.

"So we have an alcoholic." He muttered before looking down at his book.

"I'm not an alcoholic." I defended while I turned back to the refrigerator to put it away. "I was." I whispered with conviction to myself while I looked around the refrigerator. On the very bottom of the fridge door pocket, I looked for another can since I had suddenly grown parched.