Chapter 3 -- Weapon

"Don't worry, I will not send you to hell. I am giving you another chance. The chance you always wanted." I stared at the silhouette of my mother in the white background.

"What do you mean?"

"There's another world hidden from mortals, tonight will be your introduction. This way, your dream will come true." She reached out almost as if she was going to touch my cheek.

"What?" I asked but my mother looked up. She had an urgent look in her eyes.

"I would love to stay longer and explain everything, but I only have so much time. I'm going to heal your body from all the toxins you have taken, but I cannot cleanse your mind."

I awoke from the dream with a sour taste in my mouth. Feeling sluggish and groggy, I gingerly moved my head against the smooth and giving surface it was resting against. Pain erupted from the back of my head, but I ignored it and tried to focus on what was going on around me. I was shivering uncontrollably as cold air whipped crossed my body. The drone of highly treaded tires and a diesel exhaust told me that I was sitting in a vehicle. My hands were not restrained so I moved one to the back of my neck so I could massage the tender area as I raised my head to see where I was.

"Finally you're awake." A male said from the driver seat beside me. I gazed over at him for a moment wondering why I was in a vehicle. It didn't take long for the memories to rush back about the events that happened at the Pound and the vampire who sat beside me. I was surprised he trusted me up front with him, especially when I had suicidal tendencies. Already I thought about grabbing the wheel and forcing the vehicle into the ditch, but the rage that had overwhelmed me at the Pound no longer plagued my mind. Now that I was free from that prison, I was almost mystified.

I didn't realize how much the cage had affected me until I was out of it. I wasn't free by any imagination, but at least I could see something other than those cross-linked prisms. I looked out the window into the night sky. I could barely see, but the headlights illuminated a site of a dense pine forest to either side of the truck. I felt like I was still on earth, yet, at the same time, it felt like I was in some dream world all together. Blaming it on my captivity, I enjoyed the scenery while I could. The beauty of it all was almost too much for me to take in, but I kept myself from looking away.

"Sorry about the window, but you stink." The vampire muttered after a particular violent shiver wracked my frame. I didn't blame him for having my window cracked to keep fresh air circulating around the cab. If anything, I was glad to smell anything but the aroma of a person who hadn't showered with soap for months.

I didn't know where he was taking me, but it didn't matter. I tried to enjoy the scenery out the window, but all too soon, the background started to replay repeatedly, like a constant backdrop. Not wanting to let the vampire know that I was curious about him, I looked at him through the rearview mirror.

He was beautiful and perfect. Just like all of them. After seeing the Amaranthine continuously, I grew accustomed to their perfection until they almost appeared normal to me. Their beauty started to set them apart until I began to see patterns in certain Amaranthine. Vampires were one of the few that had particular qualities, and their distinguishing feature was that they had an allure that felt like a living thing beating against my flesh. They had perfect skin tones, hair that did whatever suited them, but it was as if they were made with the idea of being the bright light dangling from a hook at the very depths of the ocean. And as the prey stared, transfixed at the beautiful light, the predator was opening their mouth to take a deadly bite.