Chapter 9 -- War

Kaylyn's look brought a sudden flash back of voices that had bothered me that morning.

"She smells good too. I'm surprised Kaylyn hasn't rushed up here and fed. You'll have to tell me all the juicy details if he does."

From the look Kaylyn was giving me, I started to wonder why he wasn't feeding from me now. It could have been because he was trying to act civilized, especially around Quinn, but I had a feeling that wasn't it. Whatever it was, I definitely didn't like his staring. I never reacted to Amaranthine in fear, but that look had my heart almost speeding up, and it didn't help when his nostrils flared, an obvious sign he smelled my scent.

Quinn acted like he didn't notice the blatant fixation of Kaylyn's eyes. "Yes, for Sam."

Quinn looked back at me and then back toward the object my eyes were locked on, "That's right...I should probably introduce you guys." He sounded a little annoyed. "Sam this is Kaylyn. Kaylyn this is Sam."

"Hmm..." He hummed in answer to the introduction. I didn't know what it meant, but from the way he was getting up, I guessed he didn't very much care who I was. He was heading our direction so he was most likely leaving. I was glad since I didn't want to have to be in the same room as him, but he was heading toward me and once again, my eyes strayed to his.

"You better get used to her because she's sticking around." Quinn's words didn't help the situation. I had a feeling Kaylyn didn't like my presence. That could have been because of the way I acted the night before.

My heart gradually got faster as he came closer, and when Quinn was finished talking, Kaylyn was right in front of me, so he stopped. I held my ground by keeping my eyes locked with his, but every fiber in my body wanted me to run or was it fight?

I may have mistaken the adrenaline coursing through my body as fear, but the look in his gaze made me feel angrier than anything else. He was looking at me like I was his next victim.

And then, his eyes trailed down to my feet and back up before he muttered, "We'll see."

He then left, allowing me to release a breath that I didn't even know I was holding. I suppressed the need to shiver from his words with a little assistance from the anger that came from the way he assessed me. He had looked me up and down as if judging me, and that was something I couldn't tolerate.

"He's a dick, but you'll get used to it." Quinn said in a much lighter tone as he went to check if there was food.

"I don't think he likes me." I couldn't help but say as I went to the island and sat in the chair as far from the one Kaylyn was sitting in.

"He doesn't really like anyone." Quinn closed a cabinet that I saw had food in it. "It looks like the food is all here. Vampires can eat food and enjoy it, but we're too busy so we usually don't have it stocked. What are you hungry for?"

I didn't know what I was hungry for so I shrugged. Quinn's eyes narrowed in a scrutinizing fashion, before he turned around and started pulling out ingredients from different places along with a large pot that he placed on the electric stove.

"So why don't you tell me about yourself?"

I looked up at Quinn a little shocked. He had his back toward me so he didn't see my expression, and I made sure to conceal it before he turned around. Quinn just kept surprising me. He was kind to me, and now he wanted to know about me. I thought about what I could tell him while I ran my finger back and forth across the edge of the table.

"There's not much to tell."

"Surely," he looked back at me with a somber face. "You haven't been in the auctions all your life, have you?" It really seemed like the idea upset him. I shook my head to reassure him. "Well then. There must be something you can tell me."