Chapter 22-- Chemistry

I leaned back as if he had smacked me across the face. He wasn't going to bite me—something I knew must have been on the top of his list, all because I didn't have a good enough reason? Instant anger hid the true emotion that was lurking under the surface. I felt like a fool. That one little statement brought me back to reality, and I couldn't believe how far I allowed myself to go.

"You have such a short life already and you want to throw it away just because of my kind?" As he spoke, he moved his hand, so he could lightly trail my hair across my cheek. He didn't tuck my hair behind my ear. No, that was too intimate. Instead, he merely framed my face using his hand, like I was nothing more than a doll.

Why, then, was my heart skipping around?

It must have been the expression on his face. He was longing for something, and it was right there in his question. I remembered what Quinn told me when I asked him why Kaylyn hated humans. He hated them because he was envious. Envious that they had an actual time limit to their life, so they could live each day as if it were their last.

I didn't know what Kaylyn considered living, but my life was one hell after another. To justify my actions, I answered, "I haven't had much of a life."

"That doesn't mean you have to throw it away now." He argued. The rise in volume of his voice sent me on edge. It was uncharacteristic of what he portrayed so far. I looked away from him, but he wasn't going to let it go. He moved his hand under my chin and knocked my head back slightly, so I was forced to look into his deep black eyes.

"Do you want to go home?"

My eyes widened. I couldn't believe that he would ever ask me that question. My surprise was quickly masked by a sudden deadening of my heart. Now that I was faced with it, I had to realize that this was better than the home I had before. I wasn't about to tell him that though. "I don't have a home."

"No family?"

Technically, I had a father, but any bond between us broke the moment he turned to alcohol. Since there was no one else, I shook my head.

His eyes narrowed, "How did you get into the auctions?"

His curiosity was beginning to alarm me. He was being considerate, when I had barged in his room asking if he would kill me. Did he really care that much? I didn't want to think about it. I did not come to fall into Kaylyn's eyes and have him convince me that I should fight for life. I had to get out of his trap, so I gave him a nonchalant answer. "It doesn't matter."

I wanted his persuasion to stop, so I decided to get away while I could. When I stood up, I was stopped when he grabbed my arm. "Wait. I'm not through with you. Sit down."

My skin went tight and my jaw clenched. His tone was demanding, but I didn't want him to think he could dictate me. "I don't have to take orders from you."

His face turned into a scowl just before he rose to his feet directly in front of me. I went to take a step back, but by that time, he had already grabbed me. One of his hands ensnared my neck so he could tilt my head back while the other pushed into my back so I couldn't escape his grasp. I was back in that same position as before, waiting on baited breath to see if this time, he was going to bite me. My body tensed, a reaction I couldn't stop, but I wasn't going to pull away. It was what I wanted from the beginning.

"Is there anything you are afraid of?" It sounded like a complaint. I knew he wanted to know what I feared so he could scare me into compliance. There was only one thing I was truly afraid of, and it was already starting with the way my heart was accelerating not in fear, but because of the way he held me so close to his body. I could feel the imprint of his male physique pressed against mine. I had to do something to get away from him, so I cleared my throat.