XXXII. savior

She rolled her eyes. As I thought, he's a goon from Les Joueurs. I wonder if there are any more of them around. I have to hurry to get back to Alex, make sure he's okay. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not 'whoring myself out' for anyone. You've been sadly mistaken."

"I'm not. I wouldn't waste your time talking to me when you've got bigger problems. Your companion drank my cocktail no problem. Or should I say cocktails? I put it in his shots and he downed them with ease. I wonder if he's even still conscious right now."

Virginie's heartbeat stilled. Her worst fears had been confirmed. I have to help him. "How many more of you are here?"

"I told you, there's no point in interrogating to me. I'm not going to tell you where any of them are or their names so just give up. I'll die before I give up any of my comrades!" He looked away, hurt filling his eyes. "They probably left me anyway. They didn't think that we would be able to get away with drugging you and they were right."

Then why did they do it? "Can you just tell me what you put in his drink? Do I need to get an antidote?"

The man laughed drily. "No, you won't need an antidote. He'll just wake up with a slight hangover, that is all. He will barely remember the evening."

"But what was the point then? Why drug him at all if you weren't going to take him?"

A genuine look of surprise crossed his face. "You haven't figured it out yet?"

She pushed her forearm down with more pressure on his neck, causing him to cough. "I'm done with your stupid games. You are going to die here. Now tell me what is going on."

"You're right, I am going to die here." He smiled wistfully, looking up at the sky. "It's not about him, right now. It's about you." He took something out from his pocket and stiffened under her as he injected it into his leg. His body relaxed as his eyes closed.

Virginie sighed and she got off him. She picked his still warm body up and propped it up against the wall. She was going to break his neck but at least now she didn't have to call the cleanup crew. From what she knew about the Players, they had a chip inside of their agents to keep track of their livelihood. They would notice that he was dead and send people to come get him.

Virginie still didn't understand what he meant by his final words. Why would it be about her? Was she being targeted as well? Why would she be? None of her previous assignments were alive. Her old clients still left messages on her answering machine at the Agency asking her how she was doing. She never used her real name. No matter what the mission was, she never used anything that sounded remotely close to her real name so it couldn't have been anyone from her past.

She slammed her fist into the wall and resisted the urge to start crying. The overwhelming feeling of dread and emptiness began to spread over her body. She covered her mouth and closed her eyes to stop the choking sobs from escaping her throat. Her presence got people hurt. She didn't know why she thought this time was going to be different.

She looked back at the man, peaceful in his death, propped up against the wall like he was just taking a nap. He had just tried to attack her. Why was she shedding tears for him?

She shook her head. She had no time to think of herself now. Her presence had put Alex in danger and he could be taken advantage of by anyone in the club in his semi-conscious state. She pulled out her phone and dialed the resort, calling for a taxi to pick them up ASAP. Then she bolted back into the club, the strobe lights momentarily stopping her.

She pushed herself through the throng until she found the dancefloor. It seemed to be the area with the most people so it was hard to move. Her eyes scanned the area methodically until she found Alex. His eyes were glazed over and struggling to keep themselves open. He was propped up on a wall while a woman in a bodycon dress ground on his crotch with her ass while another woman's lips were pressed against his neck.