XXXV. beach trip

She waved a cheery goodbye to the man who drove her down to the beach. She had left him a hefty tip, no matter how much he told her that he didn't need it. The man had yellowing around his eyes which indicated a childhood of malnutrition. He was working as a driver at a resort in a gentrified area of Jamaica. She knew that he needed it, regardless of what he said.

She walked underneath one of the giant umbrellas that they had on the beach for shelter, trying to avoid the scalding sand. The salty ocean breeze relaxed her and the sounds of the waves were soothing. There weren't too many people out on the beach but there were enough for the sound of chatter to arise. The waves were calm and the water was a stunning turquoise blue. She laid out on one of the lounge chairs, stretching her long legs. She closed her eyes, taking in the sensations and sounds of the beach.

"Hey, Virginie!" She heard Alex's voice call for her and she opened her eyes. She thanked herself for leaving on her sunglasses so that Alex could not see the way her eyes were popping out of her head.

Alex's skin was glistening in the sun. His aura seemed to bring more sunlight to the beach, making the area warmer than it already was. His skin was dripping with water; he must've taken a shower beforehand. His curls were defined by the moisture and under the sun, his eyes almost matched the water in their beauty. She knew that they had talked about working out but she was absolutely floored at the results. He had the body of a swimmer, football player and a runner with the best assets of each. His legs were thick, toned, and muscular. His smile was nearly her as the whiteness of his teeth and the sun collided. He was the man of her dreams.

And the one she could never have.

He must've done this on purpose. He wore a form fitting pair of swimming trunks which just so happened to give the perfect tease of the size of his massive assets. He had to feel the intensity in the way that she gazed at him from across the beach. He must've done it just to spite her. To see her sweat from his presence alone. She wouldn't let him have her. Especially when she could never show him how she actually felt.

Two could play at that game. She wore this swimsuit for that specific reason. She briefly touched her cover up but then put her hands down. No, not now. The time isn't right.

Virginie cleared her throat, not wanting to show him the effect that he had on her. She was going to keep her sunglasses on until she got herself under control. "Good to see you, Mr. Stroud."

Alex raised a curious eyebrow at her before joining her in the shade. "No 'princess'?"

She scoffed. "You did assume that I left your drunk ass. You will get back your nickname privileges when I see fit."

A look of regret briefly crossed his face and he tried to mask it but ended up looking more remorseful. "I'm sorry. Stephanie has never lied about anything like that before. Her story was out of character but she seemed so genuine."

His eyes were so soft and pleading, Virginie almost felt sorry for him. "Listen, it's fine. Just don't jump to conclusions before talking to me first, okay? I told you that I wouldn't leave you. You know I don't go back on my word."

Alex smiled and then nodded. "Yeah, definitely. It won't happen again." His face got serious. "What about this whole drugged business? Does Stephanie know about it?"

Virginie laughed. "Of course not. Then I would have to explain to her a lot of things that she doesn't have to know. I told her that you had a little bit too much to drink." She gave him a quick side eye. "Which you did. How are you about to leave the house drunk and then have three shots of rum? What kind of dumbass does that?"
"I don't have to explain myself to you," he spat coldly.