XXV. confrontation

TW: Domestic violence

When she ducked out of the room, she found two officers holding back Robert who was trying to convince them to let him in. He looked breathless and helpless in his suit, sweat on his brow and an uneasiness in his eyes. He broke into a smile once he saw her. The officers eyed her warily. "Do you know this man?"

"Yes, I do," she relented. "Let go of him, please. He was just worried about me."

They released him and walked away to converse with one another but still kept an eye on him. It seemed that they had caught the vibe of possessiveness that emanated from him. Once they were somewhat out of sight, Robert clasped his arms around her. "I'm so glad you're okay! Once I heard about the shooting I knew I had to come to see if you were―"

"Wait," Virginie cut in, pushing him away. "How did you even know I was going to be here?"

Robert looked down sheepishly. "I kind of looked up where you were interning at and bribed the secretary to see who you were working for and what case you were working on. I just checked the little schedules in front of the court rooms until I found you." The murderous look on Virginie's face caused him to backpedal. "I don't know what you expected me to do! You haven't spoken to me in weeks. I missed you so much. I don't understand why you would think I wouldn't be here. Or why you look so upset."

Virginie put a thoughtful face on solely for sarcastic reasons. "I don't know...maybe because it's fucking creepy to do a background search on your girlfriend without her consent and who also told you to respect her damn privacy? Maybe something like that?"

Robert's face turned dark. "I don't appreciate your tone."

I don't appreciate yours either.

Virginie's eyes darted towards the entryway to the courtroom. She couldn't see inside but no one was looking for yet so she needed to make their escape quick. He was most likely going to hit her soon. "Why don't we continue this conversation in a place a little bit more private?"

Robert got closer to her. The feel of his hot breath against her skin made her feel scared. She could smell the alcohol on him. "You've been trying to control me ever since that night at my house. I don't want to be controlled." He grabbed her arm. "No one tells me what to do."

She could feel his fingers pressing deep into her skin and she forced herself to wince. He wouldn't bruise her but he had to think that he had a little bit of control over her. "Have you been drinking?"

Robert looked caught off guard. His eyes went blank before refocusing. "I don't know even know why you would ask me that. Even if I have been, it would be none of your business."

So...yes. She tried to diffuse the situation. "Baby, c'mon let's go someplace more private. We can talk more about―"

He twisted her arm and she cried out in pain. "You keep trying to change the subject and lead me away from the courtroom." His face fixed itself into an angry grimace. "Are you...ashamed of me? Do you not want your little lawyer boyfriend to see me? Does he even know that we're dating?"

"I'm not ashamed of you! I just prefer to keep my work and personal life separate. I don't know that much about him either." She shook her head, realizing what he had just said. "Alex is not my 'little lawyer boyfriend'! He has a girlfriend named Stephanie!"

Robert's eyes narrowed. "I thought you didn't talk about personal things."

Virginie rolled her eyes. "Are you serious?" Robert didn't say anything. His cold expression was his only reply. "She comes to the office a lot to bring him dinner. She introduced herself to me. It's not that hard to put things together."