L. failure

Stephanie was drunk, singing Meghan Trainor and drinking wine. "If I were you, I'd wanna be me too. I'd wanna be me too. I'd wanna be to me, too." She danced around her apartment, blissfully happy and trying to forget the fight she had with Alex earlier in the night.

Tomorrow morning, Alex would come to her apartment for some makeup sex with some flowers. He would need to be comforted because of Virginie's disappearance, and they would cuddle on the couch while watching Dance Moms. And when Virginie's dead body washed up on the shores of Staten Island, Stephanie would be a great shoulder to cry on, and she would speak at Virginie's funeral. With her out of the way, she could imagine the perfect ring on her finger when Alex finally proposed and their wedding and their honeymoon and their kids...

The only thing that was fueling her good mood was the fact that somewhere, Virginie was strapped to a chair and crying out in pain. She wished that she could be the one to be doing the torturing, but she didn't know the method, and she didn't feel like getting her hands dirty. She had just done her nails the other day. Getting flesh under them would be the worst.

"You know what?" She mused aloud, a bit unsteady on her feet. "I'm going to call up my good buddy George and find out if I can see this thing happening live! I wanna see some blood tonight!" She raised her hands in the air and attempted to shake her hips in rhythm with the music.

Her wine glass spilled slightly onto her red carpet. She peered down at it, trying to make her eyes focus. She pointed at the stain with her empty hand. "You see this? This is what I want! This is what I want to see! Her blood staining the floor or carpet of whatever shithole they have her strapped up in."

She picked up her phone dialed the Players' number and put it on speaker phone. She had it memorized from dialing it so much. "Hi, you've reached Reno Technologies Incorporated. Please dial the extension of the person you are trying to reach or wait for the operator," the automated voice said.

"We all know that this isn't really Reno Technologies, silly. You're hired killers, but this is a good cover, isn't it? Ha!" She typed in the extension for George specifically and waited for him to come on.

"Hello, Ms. Woods," George answered, his voice flat.

"Georgey-porgy, I neEeEeEeEd something from you," she sang.

"Ms. Woods, I have some news to tell you. I'm glad you called. I have to talk to you about something."

"You're always so serious, George. Why won't you indulge me, just this one time? I just want in on the fun is all. You're keeping it from me. I want to see it happening in real time. Isn't there an option for that and if so, why didn't you tell me there was one?"

"That is an option, ma'am, however, I am afraid that I cannot offer it to you."

She frowned, pausing from her dance. "Why not? I thought y'all could do WHATEVER I want. So why can't I get it?"

"We underestimated Virginie. We will not be able to honor the promise that we made to you months ago. I am very sorry, but we are stopping this mission. We have lost too many people from this. Our leader has perished in this mission. They destroyed one of our bases during her retrieval. She and her companions are just too strong."

Stephanie dropped her glass. Her heart fell into her stomach, and she collapsed onto the floor, the wine getting on her favorite pajama set. But she didn't even notice. All she could focus on was George's voice coming out of her phone.

"Since this is the last time that we will ever be speaking because you will be blocked access to this number and I am changing my extension, I would recommend that you get some security for yourself. Not from this agency, because no one will want to work for you but from somewhere else. Because there will be people coming for you to get revenge and it will not be pretty by any means. Cover your tracks if you have any. Everything that could be done on our part has been done, and we will not be going to the police with our evidence. But Virginie has powerful friends. You will be found out. It's just a matter of when."