LXXIV. farewells

"Mr. Stroud!" Melinda called over the loudspeaker. "There's a present for you at the front desk from one Virginie Methót!" There was a pause and then she buzzed again. "When is that angel coming back here, by the way? I miss her. I'm tired of looking at your ugly face."

Alex groaned and rolled his eyes before buzzing back. "Send it right up. And Virginie will be back soon, she had a bad injury so she needed some time off to recuperate. She'll be in the office with you making fun of me before you know it."

"She better," Melinda joked.

Alex walked to the front desk, whistling and wondering what Virginie had sent to him. He had actually been thinking about dropping by to see her after he was done with work to see how she was doing and when she would be coming back.

He was surprised to see Hyeon-Ju standing with a plate of Prime Ribeye with a crown on top with a note attached. "Good afternoon, Alex-sshi! It is good to see you."

He grinned as he took the plate from her hands. "너를 만나서 반가워." (It is good to see you as well.) He thought he had stumbled on a couple of words but Hyeon-Ju looked impressed.

"I see that your lovely companion taught you some Korean," she noted. "Very nice. I cannot wait to see you learn more."

"고맙습니다," he mumbled. (Thank you.) He reached into his pocket, trying to change the subject. "How much do I owe you?"

Hyeon-Ju laughed. "Do you not know what a gift is, Alex-sshi? Virginie already gave me more than enough money to pay for the meal, my time, a tip, and this delivery. Do not give me anything more. I will not take it." She turned around and waved goodbye. "Have a good day! Tell Virginie I said hi when you see her."

Alex nodded numbly as he made his way back into the office. The delicious smell of the Prime Rib was wafting through his nostrils, along with the aroma of rosemary, thyme, garlic, onions, and other various seasonings.

"So? What did she get you?" Melinda asked, peering over the desk. "Is that your favorite dish from Gaonnuri? Ugh, it smells so good."

"She also left me a note," Alex added, showing her the envelope with his name on it in script.

Melinda grabbed it and ripped it open. Her smile vanished as she got deeper into reading it.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Alex questioned, trying to grab the paper from her.

"She's leaving," Melinda murmured. "For good."

"You're lying! Let me see that!" Alex snatched the paper out of her hands and began reading Virginie's otherworldly calligraphy.

Dear my treasured Princess,

I hope you like my presents. That crown is going to look perfect on you. The emeralds are going to sparkle along with your eyes.

I know you're about to tear up that Prime Rib like there's no tomorrow but I do have some stipulations for this gift. Make sure not to get any on your desk. I won't be there to tell you to chew with your mouth closed so I know shit is about to be flying all over the place. You eat like a pig.

On a serious note, I hope that these gifts can make up for my final transgression towards you. I am leaving New York. For good this time. And no, you can't stop me. I've already made up my mind. It's something that needs to be done. Something that I should've done a long time ago but I was being selfish. Well, not anymore. I need to let you go.

I want you to know that I was never faking it with you. I didn't need to. From the moment I tackled you in the middle of The Drip, I knew you were going to be different, as corny as that sounds. I was right. You were always the perfect gentleman and knew how to make me smile. I am going to miss that more than you know.